Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 switch auto-reboot at a specific time

lee_jia_en
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

What could be the possible causes of the auto-reboot of C6509e at a specific time or maybe a random time?

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lee,

Auto boot can happen due to HW or SW misbehavior. Its bit difficult to say the cause without seeing the issue or analysis.

1. When did you see it for the first time?

2. Did you do any software, hardware or configuration changes before or at the moment when problem appeared?

3. Please share the #show tech, syslog message prior and during the auto-reboot.

This will help us to narrow down the issue.

Regards,

Aru 

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

1. When did you see it for the first time? After replacement of a supervisor module

2. Did you do any software, hardware or configuration changes before or at the moment when problem appeared?  After replacement of a supervisor module, what need to be done as the engineer help to replace the module without checking any other abnormal behaviour of the switch.

3. Please share the #show tech, syslog message prior and during the auto-reboot.

Please refer to the attached text file. ( I have amended the show tech text file due to confidentiality of company.)

Are you running VSS with dual supervisor card?

I can see Switch 1, Slot 5 supervisor card's uptime to be recently new.  While the rest is "3 weeks, 6 hours" this one is "4 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes".

Yes, we have two supervisor modules and one was replaced. After the replacement, the switch will be reboot at a specific timing,

the switch will be reboot at a specific timing,

Can you elaborate further?  Are you saying the ENTIRE CHASSIS or both VSS pair reboots or just the new line card?

The entire switch reboots at specific timing every day.

The entire switch reboots at specific timing every day.

I find that hard to believe since your "sh tech" and the uptime of each supervisor card both confirm that uptime to 3 of your cards is >27 days and your other line card is >4 days.

Are you sure it's the chassis that's rebooting and NOT the different line cards?

The problem is on our zabbix monitoring it shows that the switch is offline and in the graph stated the same, this happened only after the sup engine replacement.

The problem is on our zabbix monitoring it shows that the switch is offline and in the graph stated the same, this happened only after the sup engine replacement.

Not sure if I believe your Zabbix box.   The output to the command "sh version" is very trust-worthy.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card