Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 6509E server vlan input queue drops

I had strange issue on our primary server vlan on our 6509E-Sup720 where my Solarwinds server was reporting 100% utilization on my server vlan interface, and also seeing a high amount of discards with is typically translated to input queue drops.  Looking at the historical usage on my Solarwinds server I have never really seen this behavior before prior to yesterday.  All that being said, this particular server vlan has approx 500 guest windows vm's, and another 50 to 100 physical servers.  The network is configured as a /20 (wish I could change this, but was in place before I took over), so my question is should I make an attempt to maybe split this vlan in half?  Is it possible that there are too many servers in this vlan, and yesterday a perfect storm sort of happened proving that having a vlan this size is too large?  Just trying to get some idea as to what may have happened, and entertaining the thought of possibly making some changes.  Still not exactly sure of the cause of the problem, as nobody else in my group has fessed up to doing anything on the network out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the advice

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content