cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Catalyste 2960:Maximum VLANs supported locally : 64

Bonjour,

je me permet d'ouvrir un nouveau fil de discussion pour demander votre aide concernant le nombre maximum des vlan supportés sur les switch, mon parc est constitué de plusieurs catalystes 3500,2960,2950,C3560G,C3550 et deux switch fédérateurs 6500,un d'entre eux est un vtp server, actuellement, j'ai 59 Vlan utilisés, et j'ai un besoin de 6 nouveaux vlan a ajouter(Data et voix) alors que les catalyste switch 2960 POE ne support que 64 vlan,voici le résultat du sh vtp status :

VTP Version                     : running VTP2
Configuration Revision          : 129
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 64
Number of existing VLANs        : 59
VTP Operating Mode              : Client
VTP Domain Name                 : XXXXXX

VTP Pruning Mode                : Enabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Enabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled
MD5 digest                      : 0xA4 0x0B 0xD8 0x46 0x62 0x1B 0x4E 0x5C

Voici la version du switch :le résultat d'un Show version:

Sw-Ho-2-1-1>sh vers
Cisco IOS Software, C2960 Software (C2960-LANLITEK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 28-Sep-10 13:44 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01200000
ROM: Bootstrap program is C2960 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960 Boot Loader (C2960-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(50r)SE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Sw-Ho-2-1-1 uptime is 33 weeks, 14 hours, 46 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 19:19:39 gmt Thu Jul 21 2011
System image file is "flash:/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-50.SE5/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-50.SE5.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html
If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.
cisco WS-C2960-48PST-S (PowerPC405) processor (revision E0) with 65536K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC1520W1RM
Last reset from power-on
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
48 FastEthernet interfaces
4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
64K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address       : E8:BA:70:6A:90:80
Motherboard assembly number     : 73-12738-04
Power supply part number        : 341-0266-03
Motherboard serial number       : FOC15192WFU
Power supply serial number      : DCA1517H4Y3
Model revision number           : E0
Motherboard revision number     : A0
Model number                    : WS-C2960-48PST-S
System serial number            : FOC1520W1RM
Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-32982-04
Top Assembly Revision Number    : A0
Version ID                      : V04
CLEI Code Number                : CMMD510ARA
Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x01

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------
*    1 52    WS-C2960-48PST-S   12.2(50)SE5           C2960-LANLITEK9-M

Configuration register is 0xF

je vous remercier d'avance pour votre aide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hello Brahim,

If possible please use the English language when joining discussions in these forums. There are many of us here who are like you and do not speak English as our native language, myself included, and yet, we do engage into the effort of speaking/writing in a foreign language. It is fair to be respectful in this sense.

Your 2960 currently runs the LANLITE IOS image. That is the reason your switch supports at most 64 VLANs. If your switch is capable of running the LANBASE image (the more advanced feature set), the total number of supported VLANs should increase to 250. When upgrading, please avoid the 15.x IOS versions for now, and use either the identical version or the 12.2(58)SE2.

Best regards,

Peter

12 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello Brahim,

If possible please use the English language when joining discussions in these forums. There are many of us here who are like you and do not speak English as our native language, myself included, and yet, we do engage into the effort of speaking/writing in a foreign language. It is fair to be respectful in this sense.

Your 2960 currently runs the LANLITE IOS image. That is the reason your switch supports at most 64 VLANs. If your switch is capable of running the LANBASE image (the more advanced feature set), the total number of supported VLANs should increase to 250. When upgrading, please avoid the 15.x IOS versions for now, and use either the identical version or the 12.2(58)SE2.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

thank you very much, i well do my effort to writ in english.

For IOS image,i'm going to see with my provider for upgriding to a LANBASE IOS (12.x)

thank you Peter.

Best regards

Purple

Re: Catalyste 2960:Maximum VLANs supported locally : 64

I am not sure why 64 vlans on a switch this size would be a problem . The switch only has 48 ports .  If it's being used as some sort of transport between switches then it is probably not the correct switch for the job and you should go to something with more capacity like a 3560 .   If using vtp for vlan propagation then you could make the  switch a transparent switch.

Hi Glen,

Thank You four your replay,i'v more than 50 catalyste 2960 wich must support more than 64 VLANs,this switch are used by a lot of clients and somme client use only 2 or 4 ports in 48 ports,so it's a big probléme that this switch support only 64 Vlans.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

When upgrading, please avoid the 15.x IOS versions for now, and use either the identical version or the 12.2(58)SE2.

Sorry Peter, I'll disagree on this.  There's a CPU bug affecting both 15.0(1)SE and 12.2(58)SE.  So far 12.2(55)SE4 and SE5 are quite stable.

Cisco Employee

Hi Leo,

In fact, I hoped you would jump in and correct me if I quote a buggy IOS version

The funny thing is, we are running 12.2(58)SE, 12.2(58)SE1 and 15.0(1)SE IOSes on your 2960 in our labs, and we have never observed neither high CPU or memory usage with them. Although I agree they are buggy (for example, a bug in the AAA and local authentication/authorization), I wasn't quite able to reproduce the problem.

Are you sure that 12.2(58)SE2 is still buggy?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Are you sure that 12.2(58)SE2 is still buggy?

I've got some 2960-48 PoE that were running both the 15.0(1)SE1 and 12.2(58)SE2 and I had to roll them back to 12.2(55)SE4 or SE5 because we saw spikes in the CPU which makes an operator loose contact of the Management IP address.  I mean, the switch will chug along very nicely passing traffic.  But when you TRY to remote access (Telnet and/or SSH) and no one can access the switch.  I believe console into it would be impossible either.  The only way to catch the high CPU in action is when you have to do password-recovery, run the config and then you'll see it.  Very strange because we didn't see this in other 48-port non-PoE.  It's only evident in the 48-port PoE of the 2960.  I haven't seen this in the LAN Lite switches nor the 2960S fleet.

We're testing the 15.0(1)SE2 and so far no complaints.

I don't remember why I "bailed' on the 12.2(58)SE2 but I think it could be the same CPU-bug.  So far, I've made the 12.2(55)SE4 and SE5 as a "safe bet" IOS  while I test the 15.0(1)SE2.

If you want to reproduce the CPU bug, get your hands on the WS-C2960-48PST (exactly the same model as the thread) and load 12.2(58)SE train or the 15.0(1)SE train without any config and the bug will rear it's ugly head.

The 15.0(1)SE the bug comes out very quickly, but Cisco have "fixed" the issue in the SE1.  However, the CPU will only spike when you console or remote access to the switch.  This is no longer evident in the SE2.

Cisco Employee

Hi Leo,

Thank you! I won't be able to get my hands on those switch platforms you have mentioned, though. We don't have them in our lab and there is no foreseeable way of purchasing those.

Nevertheless, the bug seems to be quite limited to appear on selected platform versions only. Would you agree?

Best regards,

Peter

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Nevertheless, the bug seems to be quite limited to appear on selected platform versions only. Would you agree?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to replicate this CPU bug in other models of the 2960/2960S but I was told by TAC that this bug is "across the board".  Meaning, any appliance that is capable of running 12.2(58)SE and 15.0(1)SE are affected.  TAC also mentioned that they've seen this issue in the 3750.

I'm disappointed that you can't get your hands on the specific platform because I'd like to hear from you what you'll find.  So far, I'm staying a good distance from the 12.2(58)SE, SE1 and 15.0(1)SE and SE1.  So far, the IOS version 12.2(55)SE4 and SE5 are good-to-go for me. 

Thanks for the ratings.

Cisco Employee

Hi Leo,

I'm disappointed that you can't get your hands on the specific platform because I'd like to hear from you what you'll find.

Yeah, I'm sad about that, too. I guess we have discussed a similar issue before - the university system in Slovakia is in dismal state and purchasing equipment "just because I'd like to play with it" is way out of question.

But that's an issue for a totally different forum... not even CSC.

Best regards,

Peter

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Errrr ... you could ask your local Cisco office.  Sometimes they can get you a "demo" unit. 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

*    1 52    WS-C2960-48PST-S   12.2(50)SE5           C2960-LANLITEK9-M

How the heck were you ever able to

1.  Load a LAN Lite IOS into a 2960 non-LC unit; and

2.  Boot a LAN Lite IOS

I've accidentally loaded a non-LITE IOS into an LC unit and it won't boot.

Load the correct IOS and you should have more VLAN support.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content