Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Category 6 cabling and SFP module

Hi,

I have a 2960 Switch which has 2 ports dual T/SFP module. I want to use these two duals uplink ports for a category 6 coper cable.

My problem is that on cisco, I have the GLC-T SFP module for that port to support cabling connection but it says only for category 5 cable.

Can I also use that SFP module for category 6 cable ? if not, does Cisco has another SFP module which is compliant with category 6 cable ?  can somebody gives a hint ?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Re: Category 6 cabling and SFP module

Paul,

According to this paper GLC-T SFP is supported on the these switches only. I don't see 2960 in the list

Speeds Supported by the 1000BASE-T(GLC-T) SFP Module on the Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switch

The 1000BASE-T SFP can support 10/100/1000 speeds only on the Cisco Catalyst 2970, 3560, and 3750 Series Switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note09186a00807a30d6.shtml#support6

HTH

Reza

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I don't see 2960 in the list

That's because the 2960 (8 and 24-port only) has dual personality ports.  You can use EITHER the copper port or the SFP therefore the GLC-T doesn't make any sense installing it into this particular model.  Trying to understand, though, the reasoning behind why it's not supported on the 48-port variety.

Thanks for your answers guys. To sum up: can I use a coper cable category 6

on these uplink ports without any adapter ? if not, what adapter to use on these gig ports for category 6 coper cable ?

thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

On a 2960 switch?  Yes, you can use Cat5/5e/6 in the Gig SFP/copper ports.

thanks Leolaohoo.

if i am using a cat 6 coper on the 2960 port, do I need an adapater or I just need to plug the cable on the port ? sorry to ask these questions as I can't see a real 2960 in front of me to work that out

Hall of Fame Super Gold

To plug a copper to a 2960/2960G/2960S uplink port, just plug it straight in.

Thanks Leolaohoo.

It helped a lot

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If this has resolved your issue, can you mark this post as "Answered"?  Thanks.

Leo Laohoo wrote:

On a 2960 switch?  Yes, you can use Cat5/5e/6 in the Gig SFP/copper ports.

Does the transceiver support cat 6A. Cannot find any document to support Cat 6A. 

Views
Helpful
Replies