Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS config to IOS

Anthony Walters
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a new 6513 with 2 sup32's with IOS. This chassis will replace a working 6513 with 2 sup2's with CatOS.

My question is this:

I need to pull the running config from the CatOS chassis and make it work on the IOS chassis. i can do this manually but was wondering if there are any trade secrets on doing this.

thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Welcome, Anthony. Appreciate if you rate the useful posts and mark the thread as answered if it solves your problem. It makes it helpful for other people searching for help with similar issues.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anthony,

There is E-DI software that has capability to translate CatOS commands to IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/enhanced_device_interface/2.2/user/guide/comtran.html#wp1043426

Cisco E-DI provides a comprehensive management interface to configure  Cisco devices. Cisco E-DI interfaces with network devices through the  command line interface (CLI) or through an Eclipse-based Graphical User  Interface (GUI).

A Cisco CatOS to Cisco IOS conversion tool is provided in Cisco E-DI  2.2.1 to help Cisco Catalyst 6500 users migrate their CatOS devices to  Cisco IOS. The tool is available in the CLI console and the GUI

You can download it here:

https://upload.cisco.com/cgi-bin/swc/fileexg/main.cgi?CONTYPES=ccu-forum

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Thank you. Im downloading the tool now.

Welcome, Anthony. Appreciate if you rate the useful posts and mark the thread as answered if it solves your problem. It makes it helpful for other people searching for help with similar issues.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Another question on this conversion.

I want to make sure – 100% assurance that VTP client mode will be assigned to this new chassis. I heard that VTP mismatches could cause some chassis to take over as the VTP Server.

Thanks again.

Hi Anthony,

The tool will give you the translated config to apply on a switch. Before letting the switch join the VTP domain,

verify that its VTP configuration revision number  is lower than the configuration revision number of the other switches  in the VTP domain. Switches in a VTP domain always use the VLAN  configuration of the switch with the highest VTP configuration revision  number. If you add a switch that has a revision number higher than the  revision number in the VTP domain, it can erase all VLAN information  from the VTP server and VTP domain.

To check revision use "show vtp status", to reset it  to 0 - change the vtp mode to transparent and then back to client (whichever it was originally). After that joining VTP domain will be safe as it will have the lowest VTP revision number.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Thank you very much. It worked great.

Glad to hear that, Anthony!

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Ivan could you make this tool available to me please 

Can you please provide me the link to that application. It seems like the software no longer available in that folder. Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco