Level 1
Level 1

i have 6506 with

1- System Bootstrap Version: 5.3

2- SUP1A

3- 65408K DRAM

4- 16384K FLASH

5- MSFC2 with 16M flash

i want to know if i could convert the catos to ios and the boot image requirment.

7 Replies 7

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

i have 6506 with

1- System Bootstrap Version: 5.3

2- SUP1A

3- 65408K DRAM

4- 16384K FLASH

5- MSFC2 with 16M flash

i want to know if i could convert the catos to ios and the boot image requirment.

Hi,

Check out the below link hope to help !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml#step

Ganesh.H

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It can probably be done but you are going to have to look at the requirements of the image.  You are going to have to find some  old 12.1 image to run on so little flash and dram . I think thats all you can get anyway because a Sup1/msfc2  has been a dead product for over 3 years now  so you will be exposed to  any security bugs that have come out in that timeframe.

there a flash with 24M size in the sup, and this is enogh for the IOS software

but when i felow the steps in the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml#conv_msfc_2

for the MSFC2 it reqired MSFC2 boot image (c6msfc2-boot) in the step 7

and the requirments for this boot image are 16M flash and 128 DRAM althogh it is a small image with 181k size.

so can anyone help in this issue

As long as you have enough room in flash for the boot image you are fine, they just lump it all in together because the bootloader image by itself is very limited in function  though it does give you more options than being stuck in rommon mode if the main image does not boot.  Also notice that it says the boot image is not  required for a msfc 2   though I always liked having it there if there is room in  bootflash for it .  Makes recovery easier if the main image doesn't boot.

So you mean the 128M requirment for DRAM is fake for boot image and the true requirments is the ios requirments.

and what a bout the ROMMON it is System Bootstrap Version: 5.3(1)

is there any issues about that

Don't know about rommon , you would have to look at the release notes for the image you are using for those requiements...

thanks alot, according to the release notes on the below links the minimum requirments in my case to run IOS on sup1 & msfc2 are

Supervisor Engine 1—These default memory configurations are acceptable:

64-MB SDRAM DIMM

16-MB Flash SIMM

MSFC2 on Supervisor Engine 1—These default memory configurations are acceptable for all MSFC2 images:

128-MB synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) DIMM

16-MB Flash SIMM or 32-MB Flash SIMM

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/release/notes/OL_2310.html#wp190471

according to ROmmon software i cannot find any thing that recoomend to change it or not.

so thanks alot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card