Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CatOS set port name

Hi,

Please could someone tell me what the maximum string length is for the CatOS command "set port name"? I've done some searching but can't find the answer.

version 5.5(19)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: CatOS set port name

Hello Graham,

it should be 21 chars if you try to set a longer port description string you will get an error message and the port name is truncated at 21 chars

Hope to help

Giuseppe

4 REPLIES
Purple

If you don't get an answer just experiment with it , its just a name and it does not affect anything else . I want to say like 20 characters but don't know for sure.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Graham,

it should be 21 chars if you try to set a longer port description string you will get an error message and the port name is truncated at 21 chars

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

This information was useful I tried out & verified the same. The switch indeed throws an error 'Name string must be less than 21 characters'

Switch> (enable) set port name 3/44 qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcv

Name string must be less than 21 characters.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was fairly short but I don't have a CatOS switch in test and any changes made in live have to go through change control. I'm scripting some changes so this information is very useful, thanks again.

Graham

Views
Helpful
Replies