cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS 3120X-S switch stack member down

Andrew Bailey
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3 member CBS3120X-S stack in a HP C7000 enclosure (switches 1, 3, and 5). Switch 1, (the previous stack master) is not showing up in the stack and all the ports are down. Switch 3 has taken over as master, but I don't know what happened to switch 1.  The system and stack lights are green and I am not seeing any messages in the log. I reset switch 1 and that did not resove the issue. I disconnected the stack cable and reset the switch again (pulled it out and pushed it back in) and connected to it with a console cable. I get nothing on the console, not even rommon mode. I was connected at the default baud rate that worked when I connected the conole of the other switches in the stack, so I don't think is a serial configuration issue. If this is CBS hardware problem, I don't understand why the system light is green.

The only thing that has happened recently is power was shut down and then later restored to this enclosure. I would appreciate any ideas in resolving this. Thanks!

Switches 1,3, 5 and provision configuration:

switch 1 provision ws-cbs3120g-s

switch 3 provision ws-cbs3120x-s

switch 5 provision ws-cbs3120g-s

Show switch command which shows switch 1 is in a provisioned state.

switch#sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0025.b41d.9280

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State

----------------------------------------------------------

1       Member 0000.0000.0000     0      1       Provisioned        

*3       Master 0025.b41d.9280     10     1       Ready              

5       Member 0025.8355.c980     5      1       Ready       

Only switches 3 and 5 are showing when I do a show version.

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

*    3 28    WS-CBS3120X-S      12.2(55)SE            CBS31X0-UNIVERSALK9-M   

5 26    WS-CBS3120G-S      12.2(55)SE            CBS31X0-UNIVERSALK9-M   

1 Reply 1

Andrew Bailey
Level 1
Level 1

It appear the switch is bad. I inserted it in another chassis and go the same, nothing on the console, and the system and stack lights green. I don't know what is wrong with it.The only thing I didn't try was different baud rates. We leave everything at the default 9600 so I don't think that is the prolblem. I replaced the bad switch, but is there anything else i can try b

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card