Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CCNP level network design efficient redundancy

I'm pondering the best way to utilize the redundant connections on the servers. I can't figure out what the best way would be. I think scrapping it (currently using RPVST and HSRP w/interface tracking) and going with EIGRP with the hosts behind the o, p, and q 3750s pointing to the 3750s as their gateways would work. Plus, I would have load-balanced connections between the switch blocks due to the equal cost paths. BUT!, what to do about the darn servers? If I use GLBP then traffic flow will sometimes be suboptimal. If a server wants to go to e but h is acting as the forwarder, it won't use the better path through g. Side Note: The servers have their interfaces bridged.

I realize that i, j, and f are not redundant. However, I'm really not too concerned, I added them to show the overall layout. What I am focused on is everything between f, i, and j. I would like the servers and the clients on switches o, p, and q, to have the most efficient redundancy.

The servers have not been connected yet. But, currently, g and h are running HSRP and tracking the non-STP-blocked interface to o, p, and q. g and h are alternately configured as primary and secondary for each of the vlans that o, p, and q are a part of (hope that makes sense!). Everything is running Rapid-PVST so the HSRP should be tracking the spanning-tree. If spanning-tree reconverges the HSRP routers will flip-flop.

Views
Helpful
Replies