cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCP and IOS update

bellaireroad
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1811W router. and It looks like I will need to update IOS to use CCP.  My router currently has 12.3(8)YI1.  I have never upgraded the IOS, and used software advisor to find the latest available version, which the advisor says is 12.4, but in the download section there is reference to 15.1.  There are also two images for download ... an enterprise and IP version.  What's the difference?  FWIW, the IP version is on the router at present time. thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roger

I would hope that the software advisor would give current and accurate advice. You have found an example where this is not the case. Believe what you see in the Download section more than what software advisor told you.

The IP version contains all of the basic functionality for an IOS router. The Enterprise version includes a lot of extended functionalities. If you want to see the differences the software advisor has an option where you can compare two releases and this would be helpful for you. Use the software advisor compare function, choose a release (perhaps the 15.1 that you may want to use) and choose the IP version and the Enterprise version as what you want to compare.

While the details of what is in the IP version and the Enterprise version may have changed since the 12.3 that you are running, it is pretty safe to say that if the original router is running IP that IP is probably the choice for the upgrade.  And from a legal perspective, the software upgrade provided by a service contract allows you to upgrade versions within the same feature set. If you upgrade from 12.3 IP to 15.1 Enterprise then leagally you should purchase a feature set upgrade license.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roger

I would hope that the software advisor would give current and accurate advice. You have found an example where this is not the case. Believe what you see in the Download section more than what software advisor told you.

The IP version contains all of the basic functionality for an IOS router. The Enterprise version includes a lot of extended functionalities. If you want to see the differences the software advisor has an option where you can compare two releases and this would be helpful for you. Use the software advisor compare function, choose a release (perhaps the 15.1 that you may want to use) and choose the IP version and the Enterprise version as what you want to compare.

While the details of what is in the IP version and the Enterprise version may have changed since the 12.3 that you are running, it is pretty safe to say that if the original router is running IP that IP is probably the choice for the upgrade.  And from a legal perspective, the software upgrade provided by a service contract allows you to upgrade versions within the same feature set. If you upgrade from 12.3 IP to 15.1 Enterprise then leagally you should purchase a feature set upgrade license.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

very succinct, thanks

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to great comments provided by Rick, if you are planning to upgrade to IOS 15, almost all releases require you to have 256MB of DRAM in you router.  So, if you have an older router with less memory, you may need to upgrade.

HTH

Reza

Thanks for pointing that out, Reza,

I have only 128/32 on the router at present time.   I am not a cisco pro, just a guy who likes to tinker.    I purchased this router about three years ago, and configured it myself, and although there was a steep learning curve involved, it was fun.

The new JRE does't play well  with SDM, so I decided to check out CCP.  I DL it first, but then realized a firmware update is required.  Didn't realize that  I don't qualify for the firmware.  So it looks like I'm stuck with 12.3 and SDM.

Hi roger,

The new JRE does't play well  with SDM

Then downgrade your JRE version to 1.6.0.3 and SDM will work like a charm.

Regards.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card