Helpful
Replies

CDP Problem, 6500 10G links

chrisayres
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any issues with CDP over 10G links on 6500's

We have a number of 6500's where it isn't working

ie, 2 6500's P-P Xenpak 10G L3 link both have the same ios s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10a.bin

a "sh cdp debug pac" shows both 6500 are sending cdp packets over the 10G link but only one is reporting cdp packets received.

The 6500 that it does not work on does not report cdp neighbours on any of its 10G links but all other links are OK.

It is happening on L2 and L3 links. on an number of 6500's but others are OK.

I can't find anything that is unique about the 6500's that it is not working on.

5 Replies 5

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello!

I don't know (yet) of any issue with 6500, 10G links and CDP, but I will search in our network to see.

In the meantime can you do a "sh cdp traffic" on both ends and paste the output here?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Calin

here you go, (already checked that note the 74,500 inbound packets missing on the none cdp switch compared to 339 on the working switch

(no cdp 10G neighbour)

PPC1_X65_007#sho cdp traffic

CDP counters :

Total packets output: 584989, Input: 510494

Hdr syntax: 0, Chksum error: 0, Encaps failed: 0

No memory: 0, Invalid packet: 0, Fragmented: 0

CDP version 1 advertisements output: 0, Input: 0

CDP version 2 advertisements output: 584989, Input: 510494

(cdp 10G neighbour)

PPCX_X65_005#sho cdp traffic

CDP counters :

Total packets output: 2849369, Input: 2849030

Hdr syntax: 0, Chksum error: 0, Encaps failed: 0

No memory: 0, Invalid packet: 0, Fragmented: 0

CDP version 1 advertisements output: 0, Input: 0

CDP version 2 advertisements output: 2849369, Input: 2849030

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

what linecard have you installed on the chasssis ?

We had a couple of strange problems with the 8port 10GE linecard: the second one was an error message of the Metropolis ASIC and the first was an access layer switch complaining of not receiving STP BPDUs triggering loop guard.

We opened two SRs and after an IOS upgrade to 12.2(33)SXHa we solved both issues.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

We have the 8port 10GE cards as well and are seeing the exact same message you referred to with STP BPDUs not being received on the access switches triggering loopguard messages. I am also thinking this is related to a FWSM failover problem we are seeing (also communicating between switches of the 10GE link on that card). Do you have any additional information on what problems you were having? I have a TAC case open on this issue and would love to be able to reference any information you can give me with our case. What IOS version were you running before loading 12.2(33)SXHa? We are 12.2(33)SXH.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

we had 12.2(18)SXF8 but no FWSM on the chassis.

We had only one access switch complaining of missing BPDUs and we tried everything: changing fibers, changing transceivers.

We opened a case but it was closed with no results because TAC had asked us a packet capture to see if the BPDUs were really missing or not.

The real trouble was that after shutting down the troubled link it was not possible to reenable it without causing a bridging loop.

Some time later a log message about MEtropolis ASIC that is only present in the new 8 10GE linecard made us to open a new case.

TAC admitted that our release could not support correctly the linecard and we moved to 12.2(33)SXHa2 (I think tomorrow I'll check).

During the upgrade campaign on all distribution switches (nighttime) I reenabled the 10GE uplink and we never seen it to complain of missing BPDUs.

So we solved two issues

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card