cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP support over FiberNet (VLAN based swithced network)

leon.mflai
Level 1
Level 1

I am working a project with FiberNet. It involves 3 x geographic locations. Each location has dual core switches (4506+SUP4 or Cat3750 stacked switch)and each of the switch has a WAN link connecting to other node. The topology is attached.

In Location C, I found that I cannot discover remote end by CDP via "show cdp nei". When I raise it out to telco, they said Cisco CDP is transmitted over native VLAN. Because the WAN link is VLAN tagged (allow 504 to Location A and 502 to Location B only). Can anybody help it?

Thanks

Leon

6 Replies 6

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Can the provider steup: Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/l2pt.htm

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Hi FCS,

Thanks for your reply. However, when I turn on L2TP, I am afraid that Location C will have L2 transparent to Location A and Location C. In my design, I want Location A and Location B are L2 transparent but Location C requires L3 routing to Location A and Location B.

Do you have comment?

But Layer 2 Tunneling is only for CDP, VTP, STP and not IP traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/l2pt.htm

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Hi FCS,

Yes, this is my concern, I am afraid the VTP, CDP, STP in location C will be extended to Location B and A but I don't want this actually. Is my thought reasonable?

tks

Leon

What kind of connection do you use between sites (MPLS, METRO Eth)? Are the three sites on the same subnet - I mean the interfaces to the provider cloud.

bye

FCS

I was told this connection is FiberNet. It is L2 technology. You can see that VLAN 504 connects Location A & C, VLAN 503 connects Location A & B, VLAN 502 connects Location B & C. The interfaces Primary Link has bandwidth 200M and 2nd link has BW 100M.

Tks

Leon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card