cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP support over FiberNet (VLAN based swithced network)

leon.mflai
Level 1
Level 1

I am working a project with FiberNet. It involves 3 x geographic locations. Each location has dual core switches (4506+SUP4 or Cat3750 stacked switch)and each of the switch has a WAN link connecting to other node. The topology is attached.

In Location C, I found that I cannot discover remote end by CDP via "show cdp nei". When I raise it out to telco, they said Cisco CDP is transmitted over native VLAN. Because the WAN link is VLAN tagged (allow 504 to Location A and 502 to Location B only). Can anybody help it?

Thanks

Leon

6 Replies 6

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Can the provider steup: Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/l2pt.htm

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Hi FCS,

Thanks for your reply. However, when I turn on L2TP, I am afraid that Location C will have L2 transparent to Location A and Location C. In my design, I want Location A and Location B are L2 transparent but Location C requires L3 routing to Location A and Location B.

Do you have comment?

But Layer 2 Tunneling is only for CDP, VTP, STP and not IP traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/l2pt.htm

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Hi FCS,

Yes, this is my concern, I am afraid the VTP, CDP, STP in location C will be extended to Location B and A but I don't want this actually. Is my thought reasonable?

tks

Leon

What kind of connection do you use between sites (MPLS, METRO Eth)? Are the three sites on the same subnet - I mean the interfaces to the provider cloud.

bye

FCS

I was told this connection is FiberNet. It is L2 technology. You can see that VLAN 504 connects Location A & C, VLAN 503 connects Location A & B, VLAN 502 connects Location B & C. The interfaces Primary Link has bandwidth 200M and 2nd link has BW 100M.

Tks

Leon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card