Replies

CE 500 can not configure , no DHCP IP

mielemeier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my CE 500 has an problem, he is an Catalyst Express 500 IOS 12.2(25)FY

I have just test all thinks like :

Before you configure the switch you need to reset it to the Factory Defaults:

1. Unplug the power cord from the switch.

2. While plugging back in the power to the switch, hold setup button.

3. Wait until all LED indicator lights turn amber and release the setup button.

4. When a switch port LED blinks green, connect your PC to that port. This computer must be configured to get the IP address via DHCP.

5. Open a web browser. If the browser does not pull up the GUI automatically, then go to http://10.0.0.01/ and select 'Erase system configuration and Boot with the factory default IOS image' and click on Submit button.

6. At this moment, the switch is set back to factory default configuration; proceed with initial setup procedure again.

The basic procedure to setup a CE500 is:

1. Make sure that nothing is connected to the switch.

2. Power up the switch.

3. Wait for the SETUP LED to blink green.

4. Press the setup button. When you press the SETUP button, a switch port LED begins blinking green.

5. When a switch port LED blinks green, connect your PC to that port. This computer must be configured to get the IP address via DHCP.

6. When the SETUP LED turns green, start a browser session on the PC.

7. Open a web browser. If the browser does not pull up the GUI automatically, then go to http://10.0.0.1/ and configure the device.

8. Enter the network settings, username and password and click Submit.

9. Select the option "No, Thanks" when the switch shows the Recommended Smartport Assignments windows. You can customize the Smartport role assignment later on.

10. Click Submit to save changes and finish basic configuration.

11. Click Restart/Reset on the GUI dashboard.

12. When the switch comes up, open a browser and go to http://<CE500management ip address>. Please remember to set up you LAN adapter with an IP address within the same subnet of the switch management interface

it is every time the same, the port 1 is blinking I connect the Notebook (with DHCP) and nothing happens, (Port 1 is blinking, LED Systemis is amber, LED Setup is blinking, the network Card don't get an IP Address...? ) with the same Laptop and a new Switch there is no problem

I just take the 12.2(25) SEG Patch Tool, but that needs the IP connection.

what can I do

(I have two switches with the same problem, the other 40 works well, the problem starts because I have configured a IP to the switch in VLAN 5 but no port in VLAN 5)

(I just checked it with a static IP (10.0.0.2) but it dosent go)

Udo

3 Replies 3

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Both the procedure you have mentioned says that "This computer must be configured to get the IP address via DHCP.". If you didn't do this, then you will not be able to access the switch using http://10.0.0.1

To configure the laptop to obtain DHCp automatically, do the following:

1) Goto Start -> Settings -> Control Pannel -> Network and Dial-up Connections and choose the Local Area Connection applicable for your NIC card.

2) Click Properties. A new window pops up.

3) From the components list, choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on Properties.

4) Choose the radio button "Obtain an IP address automatically".

5) Click OK. Click Ok. Click Close.

Now connect the Switch and Laptop. Laptop should obtain the IP address from the Switch.

The Reset CE500 document has pictorial representations for all the above said steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_tech_note09186a0080707fb0.shtml

Thanks for answer

I connect the Notebook (with DHCP)

10 Switch runs very well with general Reset but only 3 Cisco don't work

Is there another way to reset ce500??

I amde an RMA for 2 of them,.

don't know....

Udo

lassejohnsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just tried to do this on a Cat Express 500 12TC. I found that it is not possible to use Cisco's procedure on a Mac, (I use a MacBook Pro with Leopard 10.5.2), and (spoiler) I don't have a workaround for this.

I tried this on a PC (XP whatever) laptop and it worked first time. I didn't try it in Parallels or whatever... I don't have windows installed.

I don't know what is the cause of this. I looked at it with Wireshark, and it looks as if the Cisco sends a gracious arp for the IP of the host that connects to it, but doesn't actually reply to the DHCP discover messages sent by the Mac.

I even tried adding a static arp entry, but it doesn't work. Perhaps the PC dhcp client is more relaxed that the one on the Mac.

In any case on a PC it seems to work.

Br,

Lasse

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card