cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE500 - multiple voice vlans

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

Not sure if this should go in the IP Telephony forum, but is it possible to add multiple voice vlans to the Cat Express 500?

Under smart ports, it will only allow you to assign a voice vlan with the name "Cisco-Voice" which means there can only be 1 voice vlan in use. Is there any way to bypass that silly restriction?

thanks,

Will

4 Replies 4

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

I think No way to restrict. CE500 won't support multiple voice vlan. Because Voice VLAN should be only the Cisco-Voice VLAN. By default, all ports are set up as access ports that belong to VLAN 1.Note: By default, the switch is set up to VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) transparent mode. Therefore, all VLANs should be added using the Graphical User Interface (GUI). Name the voice VLAN Cisco-Voice. If you use a different name, it is not recognized as a voice VLAN by the switch.

I understand that. But when you have a need for multiple voice vlans, obviously they can't all be named Cisco-Voice. I was hoping for a work around to that limitation.

Thanks anyways,

Will

oscaravelar
Level 1
Level 1

If you need multiple voice vlans in use, do not use the smart port graphic configuration. You can create the vlan by the graphic way, but if you want to use that's vlans as voice vlans (do not name it as the voice vlan, name it different) you have to assign that vlan to the port using the CLI interface (Yes you can access to the CLI interface in a Catalyst Express) try the fallowing in your browser:

http://switchipaddress/exec/level15/-

Try configuring from here. You do not need the smart ports; just assign the vlan as you would do in another series switch.

That's the thing. I can assign that, but it reverts it back. I've also had a problem where I need to set the switchport port-security max to higher than the default 3. I've successfully changed it vi the ip/exec web interface and issue a show run and it did take the change. Then I do a sh run a few minutes later and it's reverted back to the original setting.

I'm not at all thrilled with this switch and would never buy one or sell one to a client. There's just so much that you can't do with them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco