Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Central Datacenter, 10mb Metro-Ethernet, many questions

We are getting ready to setup a new network which will involve 4 sites with all servers located in a central data center. We are currently looking at having about 50 computers at each site and we must make this work over 10mb Metro-Ethernet WAN links.

I am currently looking at a few things including WAAS, etc.

1: If we decide to use WAAS and the associated appliances, do all of the switches in our network have to have WCCP capibilities to take advantage of this? I ask this because the 3750 Metro switches that we are currently looking at for our borders do not have an WCCP compatible IOS available (which amazes me since that option is on the other 3750 series with IP services IOS) ... If all switches must have this, this will probably kill the chance of using WCCP since I don't want to pay 40,000 for 4900 series metro switches, just for WCCP compatibility, and the WAAS interfaces for the routers (2800 / 3800) are limited to 4mbps throughput.

2. About the 3750 Metro switch. Are there any reasons that I should not use this switch for our ME border, any reason at all that I should use routers? Am I going to be OK using 3750 Metro switches at all 5 locations including the datacenter, or is there better options for this.

3. Does your above answer change if we go with one possibility that is on our table, a complete NEC VPCC thin client solution at all locations with the virtual servers at the datacenter? (QOS is going to become a big deal with this, will need to ensure that all clients have a minimum guarantee'd bandwidth so one person doesnt choke the whole network, but want people to be able to use more than that minimum if it is available)

Any further suggestions or other things I should be considering?

Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: Central Datacenter, 10mb Metro-Ethernet, many questions

Nathan,

One question that you also need to look at is the type of traffic that you deal with. if you deal with lot of encrypted traffic like SSL WAAS will not bring any benefit to you.

Also you need to consider that although you say you have 10 Mbps links, you may not be able to get th ewhole 10M throughput.

Satya

Views
Helpful
Replies