Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing running config of switch via FTP

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I need to test FTP functionality of server as i need to upgrade the IOS via FTP.

I have made text file name switch1.txt that has only

ip dhcp snooping in it.

If i use this command

copy ftp://admin:{pw}@192.168.50.1//home/admin/configs/switches/switch1.txt  running-config

Where admin is username

192.168.50.1 is IP of FTP server

Switch1 is hostname of the switch.

If i run the above copy command on switch will it will simply add the ip dhcp snopping in running config of switch and previous config of switch will not change?

Also is the above command syntax correct?

I can not test  as i am not sure what will this command do as switch is in production?

Regards

Mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

Am I correct in understanding that what you want is really some experience in using FTP to copy a file from an external server and using that file to make some config changes of low (or none) impact on the switch. In that case I would suggest that instead of dhcp snooping that you put in config commands to make (or change) the description on some interface? This will exercise FTP, make a config change that has no impact and is easy to verify.

I am a little confused what you mean when you say:" in running config of switch and previous config of switch will not change?". The running config will change and the startup config will be the same as it was.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If i run the above copy command on switch will it will simply add the ip dhcp snopping in running config of switch and previous config of switch will not change?

Correct.  If you run the command "copy ftp://admin:{pw}@192.168.50.1//home/admin/configs/switches/switch1.txt  running-config", the switch will read the "switch1.txt" file and apply what's in this file into the running-config.  It will only change what you have in the text file and will not alter the rest.

So you are not familiar with the effects?  May I recommend you put a "time b0mb" before running the copy command?  Do this:

reload in 10 < --- Reloads in 10 minutes

copy ftp://admin:{pw}@192.168.50.1//home/admin/configs/switches/switch1.txt  running-config

If there are no ill-effect, cancel the scheduled reload using the command "reload cancel".

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

Am I correct in understanding that what you want is really some experience in using FTP to copy a file from an external server and using that file to make some config changes of low (or none) impact on the switch. In that case I would suggest that instead of dhcp snooping that you put in config commands to make (or change) the description on some interface? This will exercise FTP, make a config change that has no impact and is easy to verify.

I am a little confused what you mean when you say:" in running config of switch and previous config of switch will not change?". The running config will change and the startup config will be the same as it was.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes i was trying to make some changes on run config of switch of  low impact using FTP.

As per your adive i tried  change by changing  int description instead of ip dhcp snooping and it worked great.

Regarding " in running config of switch and previous config of switch will not change?  i should have been more clearer

i was trying to say that when i run the ftp command syntax  as i was doing this first time once i apply the low level change it will of course change the interface description of the switch to the new one.

I was intending to stay otehr than interface description remaining config of switch should remain same.

Hope makes Sense.

Regards

Mahesh

Mahesh

Thank you for the explanation. It now makes much more sense. And yes all other parts of the running config stay the same and only the particular part that you specified will change.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Correct.  If you run the command "copy ftp://admin:{pw}@192.168.50.1//home/admin/configs/switches/switch1.txt  running-config", the switch will read the "switch1.txt" file and apply what's in this file into the running-config.  It will only change what you have in the text file and will not alter the rest.

So you are not familiar with the effects?  May I recommend you put a "time b0mb" before running the copy command?  Do this:

reload in 10 < --- Reloads in 10 minutes

If there are no ill-effect, cancel the scheduled reload using the command "reload cancel".

Hi Leo,

Above syntax

copy ftp://admin:{pw}@192.168.50.1//home/admin/configs/switches/switch1.txt running-config

As i was doing this first time so i was not sure  of effect of this syntax.

Thanks for you help.

Regards

Mahesh

Mahesh,

Should be fine, Mahesh.  We do this in our network very regularly.

One thing to consider:  If you are just uploading a few lines, you can use TFTP. 

Thanks for the ratings. 

Hi Leo,

But we have to use FTP only no other choice.

Regards

Mahesh

But we have to use FTP only no other choice.

Ahhhhh ... Ok. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card