Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing switches to Stackwise

andymh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 x 3750's connected to each other via an etherchannel. I'm planning on installing a 3rd 3750 into the stack, but removing the etherchannel, and connecting the 3 with the stackwise cables.

I am presuming this should be fairly straight-forward, though I know from past experience that once switches are stackwise'd they retain elements in their config that you can't remove.

Is there anything to watch out for aside from ensuring the IOS is the same version on all the switches ?

cheers

A

3 Replies 3

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Friend,

The following document should help you in terms of the software and hardware things that you should look for before adding the switch to a running srack.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225sed/scg/swstack.htm#wp1142379

HTH,

-amit singh

Thanks for that. I have read it through and it does come up with some useful info. The thing is I don't have a running stack at the moment, that's what I'm trying to create. What I can't find is anything on taking existing, working non-stacked switches, and converting them into stackwised switches.

Will the newly assigned stack master use it's previous config as the running-config for the whole new stack ?

Once configured I hope to have 3 core switches in a stackwise configuration with 4 x 2950 access switches spread across the core.

If it goes wrong, can the stackwised switches be removed and reset to normal as I seem to recall the stackwise config is irreversible ?

It's not irrevesible. When you add your 1st switch to your stack (set the switch you want as master initialy with the switch priority command) it will modify the running config with the new switch ports and copy the new running configs over to the slave. If you want to revert back to a single switch you can just delete the start up config and start over. Or I think you could issue the "No provision switch (or no switch provision)" command. That should remove any config for switches that were in the stack.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card