Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing VTP modes in production network

Mohit Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

we have small production network having 10 switches where we are not using VTP.

When i checked switches, found that few are running server, few client and few transparent. there are different VTP domains configured. Clearly, switches from multiple locations has been brought here.

Anyway, there are few switches having same domain name and running in server/client mode and i want to migrate all to transparent mode.

Should i go with client first and change the vtp mode to transparent and server switches in the last? Also i have 2 switches acting as servers so while changing VTP mode from server to transparent on one switch, will it affect the 2nd server.

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steveosh72
Level 1
Level 1

which is the switch that you make the changes too the most (adding vlan or deleting vlans and that kind of stuff)?

if you make a change on the vtp server it would migrate to the client mode switches IF you have all on the same vtp domain.

go to the vtp servers and type sh vtp status

the one with the highest revision number should be kept as a server.

you then put a vtp domain name (if you do not already have one.)

best to put a vtp password 

then go to rest of the switches change them all to transparent. (this will reset the revision # to 0 )

change the vtp domain on these switches to whatever you put on the server, along with the password.. this will allow them to join ONLY if they have the same VTP password.

then change them to clients.

all the vlan and info should then come from the server to all the client mode switches.

this way if you make a change ont he server mode switch, you do not need to make any changes on any other switch.

if you leave them in transparent mode then none of the changes that are made will be picked up. and you would need to go to every switch and manually do the changes

View solution in original post

Hi Mohit,

Chaning VTP mode to transparent will not delete your vlans of your vlan.dat file you can go from Server to tranparent or from client to transparet.

To add when you change your VTP domain name if you do will force your vtp revision number to zero.

(I would do atfer hours just incase you hit any bugs)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Steveosh72
Level 1
Level 1

which is the switch that you make the changes too the most (adding vlan or deleting vlans and that kind of stuff)?

if you make a change on the vtp server it would migrate to the client mode switches IF you have all on the same vtp domain.

go to the vtp servers and type sh vtp status

the one with the highest revision number should be kept as a server.

you then put a vtp domain name (if you do not already have one.)

best to put a vtp password 

then go to rest of the switches change them all to transparent. (this will reset the revision # to 0 )

change the vtp domain on these switches to whatever you put on the server, along with the password.. this will allow them to join ONLY if they have the same VTP password.

then change them to clients.

all the vlan and info should then come from the server to all the client mode switches.

this way if you make a change ont he server mode switch, you do not need to make any changes on any other switch.

if you leave them in transparent mode then none of the changes that are made will be picked up. and you would need to go to every switch and manually do the changes

Hi Steve,

Thanks for giving detailed explanation about VTP. It cleared many doubts.

i am going to use the transparent mode, as per my knowledge there has not been any changes in the VLANs since over a year and no changes are scheduled also.

Hi Mohit,

Chaning VTP mode to transparent will not delete your vlans of your vlan.dat file you can go from Server to tranparent or from client to transparet.

To add when you change your VTP domain name if you do will force your vtp revision number to zero.

(I would do atfer hours just incase you hit any bugs)

Hi Zeeshan,

Thanks for your inputs. yes, will do it after hours.

actually a client server will get the vlan list from the VTP server

and all the vlan info will be "updated" or overwritten by the switch with the highest revison number.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco