cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking Internet Speed directly in the Cisco router?

Rabnawaz Anwar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know is it possible to check Internet speed directly in the cisco router thru any command or activating any service in the cisco router?

There are number of questions and confusions regarding internet speed.As it is seeen most of the times internet speed offer by ISP is different as compared to clients.and Clients most oftenly not satisfied with internet speed

The problem is that our ISP has given us 100MB leaased line.But when we deployed in production network the speed is same as DSL.We have reported this issue to ISP they then carried out Iperf test by connecting laptop directly with the ISP router.They have tested the speed and it shows  about 94-96 Mbps and argu that it is up to the mark and there is problem at your side(i.e our internal network).

Now our internal network has cisco 1841 router connected directly to ISP 3825 cisco router.Our router has minimum configuration as required to pass traffic out and in.Our internal 1841 router is connected to switch to which different clients are connected.We have performed some online tests using different speed checking websites and also perform real time tests by uploading and downloading files.The speed is much low as compared to 100Mbps and it is nearly or slightly higher then as DSL connection.

Now plz help us how can we check internet speed in the specified scenario?

Is there any command or service available in cisco router to check internet speed as we want to check ISP connection speed directly thru 1841 router?

what about authenticity of online speed checking websites?

Any specialize software/tool you recommend to check Internet speed in specified scenario?

Rabnawaz Anwar

19 Replies 19

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What speeds are you actually seeing? I'd check duplex on the interfaces of the router and the switch that connects to your router. You can use www.speakeasy.net/speedtest to check for speeds, but I'm not sure where you're located. Most online sites will get you fairly close to true speed though, but you also need to take into consideration the fact that others will be using that site, how many hops, etc.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

We are seeing about 3-4Mbps on clients.There are about 60 clients in our local area network.Each is allow to access internet.

Hi,

I agree with John. Make sure your 1841 matches the speed/duplex on the 3825 and with your LAN switch.

Perform your FTP/Iperf tests using a laptop/PC connected directly behind the 1841 FE LAN port.

If you're still not satisfied with the results, ask your ISP to do an onsite RFC 2544 test.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

you may want to check if the 1841 has throtlling of the speed to vasrious access-list's from a previous configuration perhaps. its unlikely since youre seeing 3-4mbps but it might be related to some old piece of code.

can you post a config?

My question remains there "Is there any command or service available in cisco router to check internet speed as we want to check ISP connection speed directly thru 1841 router?

However

Duplex settings are same with the ISP router.I have rechecked them.

The other option as depicted by Joseph that 1841 router could not support 100Mbps connection.I am not sure of it.Is there any document/link available where this information is verified?Then which router is best for the connection?Is 2800 router is ok?

Hi,

Your only option is to use the show interface fx/x | i rate command to check out the link utilization.

I would agree with Joseph. I'm afraid your 1841 might not be able to handle 100 meg traffic. We use usually deploy our 1841s for 10-20 meg Metro-E.

I would sugeest to have the same 3825 router such as the one given by your ISP or go for the 3900 ISR G2 (if budget permits).

See link below for router performance matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

I have enter the command  and here is the output.But I really dont understand it.Please explain it for me

JSRouter#sh interface f0/1 | i rate

Queueing strategy: fifo

5 minute input rate 961000 bits/sec, 235 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 847000 bits/sec, 215 packets/sec

JSRouter#sh interface f0/0 | i rate

5 minute input rate 758000 bits/sec, 215 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 981000 bits/sec, 249 packets/sec

JSRouter#

Here I want to mention that f0/0 is connected to ISP 3825 router

Interface f0/1 is connected to internal network. to switch

JSRouter#sh interface f0/0 | i rate

5 minute input rate 758000 bits/sec, 215 packets/sec. >>> 758 kbps DOWNLOAD

5 minute output rate 981000 bits/sec, 249 packets/sec. >>> 981 kbps UPLOAD

I don't understand how this or any other answer(s) addresess the question even remotely.

Speakeasy...really...is that what we use for CLI on a Cisco router? I think it was pretty clear from the question that the query was " if there is an available CLI to test speed real time from a router"

Duplex setting and speakeasy and explaining fifo rates do not address, please try to stay relevant to the questions asked. Thank you.

Well in answer to the original question, some Cisco devices support a hidden TTCP implementation, which can be used for some network performance testing. Some Cisco devices also support IP SLA tests, that can be used for some performance testing. But in general, Cisco routers don't have a CLI feature to "speed test" a network (as that's not the purpose of a router).

hopefully by now Cisco has come with a solution to this important request.

Not that I'm aware of.  Also, I suspect, it's unlikely they will, as bulk performance testing is better conduced "outside" of the Cisco device.

Heck, why often people wonder why pinging a Cisco router might give such erratic response times when link isn't loaded.  This because, it's a low priority task and (ping) wasn't really designed as a performance benchmark tool, it was designed more to determine if target host is "alive".

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An 1841 could easily struggle with 100 Mbps duplex.  What's its CPU look like when you run a speedtest?

PS:

Your 1841 is rated at 75 Kpps while your ISP's 3825 is rated at 350 Kpps.

cashqoo
Level 1
Level 1
The problem is that our ISP has given us 100MB leaased line.But when we deployed in production network the speed is same as DSL.We have reported this issue to ISP they then carried out Iperf test by connecting laptop directly with the ISP router.They have tested the speed and it shows  about 94-96 Mbps and argu that it is up to the mark and there is problem at your side(i.e our internal network).

Since their test included the ISP router and the link, 94-96mbps result sounds reasonable. the problem may possibly be located within your network.

you can use "http://speedtest.net/" to test the link's bandwidth. it is pretty accurately for where i am located.

you may also want to check the statistics on your network equipments.

• cpu usage
  • memory usage
  • interface bandwidth utilisation
  • interface errors
  • logging, for any possible errors

having a snmp server could do the job, and also provide you with historical data.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: