cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking Internet Speed directly in the Cisco router?

Rabnawaz Anwar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know is it possible to check Internet speed directly in the cisco router thru any command or activating any service in the cisco router?

There are number of questions and confusions regarding internet speed.As it is seeen most of the times internet speed offer by ISP is different as compared to clients.and Clients most oftenly not satisfied with internet speed

The problem is that our ISP has given us 100MB leaased line.But when we deployed in production network the speed is same as DSL.We have reported this issue to ISP they then carried out Iperf test by connecting laptop directly with the ISP router.They have tested the speed and it shows  about 94-96 Mbps and argu that it is up to the mark and there is problem at your side(i.e our internal network).

Now our internal network has cisco 1841 router connected directly to ISP 3825 cisco router.Our router has minimum configuration as required to pass traffic out and in.Our internal 1841 router is connected to switch to which different clients are connected.We have performed some online tests using different speed checking websites and also perform real time tests by uploading and downloading files.The speed is much low as compared to 100Mbps and it is nearly or slightly higher then as DSL connection.

Now plz help us how can we check internet speed in the specified scenario?

Is there any command or service available in cisco router to check internet speed as we want to check ISP connection speed directly thru 1841 router?

what about authenticity of online speed checking websites?

Any specialize software/tool you recommend to check Internet speed in specified scenario?

Rabnawaz Anwar

19 Replies 19

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

I would have to agree with the other replies about capacity. I don't think an 1841 will support that much traffic. I have a 2801 running a 20mbps internet connection, with no NAT or anything on it, and when it's pushing full bandwidth, CPU is 60-70%. You should look at a larger 2800/2900 router or even a layer 3 switch depending on what your router is doing. The major thing you lose with a Layer 3 switch vs a router is NAT. If this is just routing, you'd be OK with a Layer 3 switch. All depends on what else is going on on your router.

Amira Saad
Level 1
Level 1

Kindly rabnawazanwar

find the below solution which is tested 

try to ping on the tested interface by a datagram size and repeat as follow 

ping x.y.z.133 so 1 x.y.z.134 size 1555 repeat 100

till the output is zero

and find the follow 

show interface ( needed to be tested )

show the following :

5 minute input rate 7678000 bits/sec, 887 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 901000 bits/sec, 607 packets/sec

to check the interface speed 

Paul Wedde
Level 1
Level 1

Last updated 2005 - Cisco TTCP - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/asynchronous-connections/10340-ttcp.html

Available on some IOS platforms and does what you require (Throughput testing on-device). I stumbled upon this post looking for TTCP and now I am happily throughput testing to and from my Cisco IOS device. Hope this helps other people looking for this functionality.

BTW, my experiences has been TTCP is available on few Cisco platforms, but it doesn't hurt to see if it's available.

michaelliu
Level 1
Level 1

flood it with traffic with something like 

iperf3 -c 8.8.8.8 tcp session=50 bw=500

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card