cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing encapsulation

padenc2001
Level 1
Level 1

While working on the vlan vtp training i noticed that the encapsulation kept switching around from isl to dot1q to the others, how do you know which one to choose and in an all cisco enviorment wouldnt you just want to stick with the same one and not having multiple protocols to try and keep track of?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paden

I believe that in general it is better to use dot1q encapsulation. Some old implementations may have been done using isl and for compatibility you may maintain them using that encapsulation. And some models of switches support only one or the other. So in using these switches you must use the encapsulation that they support. If you really have a choice then choose dot1q. But sometimes you must work with what was there when you got to the project.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paden

I believe that in general it is better to use dot1q encapsulation. Some old implementations may have been done using isl and for compatibility you may maintain them using that encapsulation. And some models of switches support only one or the other. So in using these switches you must use the encapsulation that they support. If you really have a choice then choose dot1q. But sometimes you must work with what was there when you got to the project.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick, just want to make sure i understand everything i can before taking the test

Paden

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read a response that resolved the question.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card