cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing IOS Version

Rosa Ladeira
Level 1
Level 1

I have two different IOS versions running on 6509-E boxes.

sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin

sup-bootdisk:/s3223-ipbase-vz.122-33.SXH8.bin

I would like to have the same version running on all boxes.

Which one is better ?

Thanks,

Rosa

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rosa,

You want an IOS with "mz" in the IOS name like the fist one above.  "mz" is non-modular version of IOS and "vz" (the second one) is a nodular IOS.  Cisco is not recommending and going away from modular IOS for 6500 series.  Actualy all new versions of SXI release are non-modular.  so, use an image like the first one.

HTH

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rosa,

One more thing.  Try using SXI releases instead of SXH. SXI contains more features.

HTH

hi rosa,

Also please check what features you might loose and also any BUGS before you upgradde to the new IOS. I believet we upgraded our IOS from SXH to SXI3  and that IOS didnt have ssh functionality. so you had to telnet into it which is not safe. so things like  need to be checked before u upgrade.

HTH

Kishore

If you are running SSH then you have to use the version with the K9 in the imagename.

Hi glen,

Thanks for that .

I am aware of that  but there was a bug in that version and the fix was in SXI4. We had to upgrade to the later version.

So, it was not the problem with the K9.

HTH

Kishore

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rosa,

You want an IOS with "mz" in the IOS name like the fist one above.  "mz" is non-modular version of IOS and "vz" (the second one) is a nodular IOS.  Cisco is not recommending and going away from modular IOS for 6500 series.  Actualy all new versions of SXI release are non-modular.  so, use an image like the first one.

HTH

Thanks.

Rosa

I started working on upgrading version and I am in trouble on first step.

I tried to copy IOS version via copy/tftp (to a Linux OS), this way:

Router#copy /verify sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin tftp        

Address or name of remote host []? 117.165.214.177                                

Destination filename [s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin]?

Copy was successfully done, but the file copied to do not have the same size as the original file.

Directory of sup-bootdisk:/

1  -rw-    26843548  Feb 13 2011 00:10:08 +00:00  sea_console.dat

2  -rw-    35640036  Feb 13 2011 00:13:12 +00:00  s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin

3  -rw-    26843548  Feb 13 2011 00:19:20 +00:00  sea_log.dat

256503808 bytes total (167170048 bytes free)

Router#

Is there anything missing on copy command ?

Thanks.

Rosa

Hi rosa,

I wont be bothered too much about it unless its significantly different. Also just verify the image on the supervisor and you should be good. The difference in size I believe is due to the file format on the supbootdisk If I am not mistaken the flash or the sup boot disk are in FAT 16 or FAT 32 format . I can be corrected if I am wrong.

HTH

Kishore

Rosa,

The size of the SXI5 is about 114Mb. The exact size of  SXI4a is 113948KB, which is vey close to 114Mb.

There is something wrong with the one you downloaded.  Try downloading it again.

Also, make sure you have enough room in your flash before downloading it.

HTH

Reza

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rosa,

One more thing.  Try using SXI releases instead of SXH. SXI contains more features.

HTH

Thanks again.

Rosa

hi rosa,

Also please check what features you might loose and also any BUGS before you upgradde to the new IOS. I believet we upgraded our IOS from SXH to SXI3  and that IOS didnt have ssh functionality. so you had to telnet into it which is not safe. so things like  need to be checked before u upgrade.

HTH

Kishore

In fact I am trying upgrade to SXI5, in order to have the same version on all boxes.

s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin

If you are running SSH then you have to use the version with the K9 in the imagename.

Hi glen,

Thanks for that .

I am aware of that  but there was a bug in that version and the fix was in SXI4. We had to upgrade to the later version.

So, it was not the problem with the K9.

HTH

Kishore

Thanks,

Rosa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: