Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing the right (or the best) distribution switch

Steven Peree
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The last months we replaced all our access switches by Cisco 2960x switches. The next step is to replace the distribution switch where the access switches are uplinked to.

My question is what would be the best distribution switch to chose here?

It's about 25 x 2960x access switches. and goal is to have the uplinks 2x10Gb

The idea is to have a redundant setup with stacking, fabricpath, ... or something else.

What would you chose in such situation and why?

(FYI Core switches are Nexus 6K with FEX)

I'll also attach a document with possible candidates)

Kidn regards

Steven

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Assuming your uplinks are fiber, you can use 2 4500X (VSS) as your distro switches.  You can get each switch with 32 1/10 Gig ports and if you need to you can always add a module to them to make them 48 ports for a total of 96 ports.  So for 25 2960 switches with 2 uplinks, you need a total of 50 10Gig ports.  You also need a few more (2 or 4)  for your uplink to the core and also 6 ports for VSS (2 10Gig for VSL and 1 1gig for fast hello). So your total is around 60 ports and you still have 36 ports available for growth or anything else you may need.

HTH

thanks for the feedback Reza,

The Nexus 3K is much cheaper then the 4500x. Anybody experience for using a Nexus 3K as your distribution?

I have personally never used the Nexus 3k before, but have used 2900 with 4500x and they work fine.

Just so you know, the Nexus series is designed mainly for data center use and not so much as campus distro/core, but this does not mean Nexus is not a good choice.  If you are going with Nexus make sure there is no issue with connecting 2960s to Nexus and also make sure it does have all the feature sets you need in the campus.

HTH

Only ever spec'd N3K to connect servers. The 3172 is a great value DC switch provided you don't want FEXs or ACI. Personally, I wouldn't be brave enough to spec one for campus distribution. I think the N56K is better suited to this role but more expensive. As Reza states, Cisco has in recent years pitched their NEXUS switches at the DC, although in recent months they've been shifting towards a more open minded 'whatever suits best' approach.

The 3850 is well suited to the job but can't be split across comms rooms if that's a requirement. They don't have great egress buffer capacity either. I think the new 1G/10G model has 6MB per 12-port ASIC. 

I'd opt for 4500-X myself. It's designed to cater for the distribution layer and has pretty good egress buffering (32MB shared) to cope with 10-to-1G contention that is commonplace within the distribution layer. 

If you want a really great distribution switch then the new 6840-X Series is excellent and makes available 3000+ features, but they cost quite a lot more.

4500-X VSS will negate the need for a FHRP within the distribution layer.

As Reza stated, ensure your required features are all included in the N3K and don't trust Feature Navigator. Data sheets can also include false information. Software release notes are the most reliable source in my experience.

Not sure what distribution features the N3K would likely be missing. Full Netflow and Medianet features such as Performance Monitor are likely to be unsupported. The 4500-X can also perform network validation tests by generating synthetic video traffic based on pre-defined video profiles such as IPTV and IPVSC.

Perhaps not relevant to you but Prime Infrastructure offers much less support for NEXUS switches.

Incidentally, which 4500-X model did you price compare the N3K against? Perhaps the 16-port will be sufficient if you're stacking your 2960-X Series.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Steven,

Selection of Distribution switches is purely on your architecture design and data flow. Is your architecture would be doing heavy routing and doing some policy decision.

and what is the oversubscription ratio calculated with 25*2960 switches w.r.t uplinks ?

Are you seeing distribution switches be g/w for servers or only for routing ?

Just another query , are you only looking switches flavours from attached document.

Normally i used to ask these type of question before designing a scalable , available and simple architecture that why thought have your understanding , so that we can give some best recommendation..:)

-GI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card