Views
Helpful
Replies

CIsco 1720 HyperTerminal Access?

TylerCC22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is my first post on here so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section. I'm not very familiar with Cisco yet, in fact I'm in school for it right now, and we have not gone too in depth with any of the equipment yet.

I have a Cisco 1720 Router sitting next to me, I need to wipe the IOS and replace it with one from another router. I know how to do it, however when I try to access the 1720 with a Console Cable and HyperTerminal, I can't seem to connect.

I've set HyperTerminal to 9600 with no Flow Control and it says I'm connected, however I am unable to access the actual router, I'm left with a blank screen.

If anyone can tell me either what I'm doing wrong, or has advice on a better way to access it, that would be great.

Thanks

Tyler

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tyler

There are several things that might explain your symptoms. There might be a problem with the console cable or with the serial connection, or incorrect settings of Hyperterm. One way to check that is to connect the PC to the router with the console cable and power cycle the router. If you see the console messages when the router boots then you know that you have a good cable and good connection.

Have you used this console cable and PC to connect to other routers or switches? If so that would provide assurance that the cable and the PC are not the problem.

One of the most common things that causes the symptoms of just a blank screen is that the speed of the console may have been changed. You can set Hyperterm to various speeds (try 1200, then 2400, then 4800, and depending on the router model it can go up to 115000). With Hyperterm you should stop and restart the connection every time that you change the speed setting.

I would also suggest that you verify that the cable is plugged into the right connector on the 1720.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Tyler,

With the default hyperterminal settings of 9600+8+None+1 and flowcontrol of hardware your console access should work. Try changing the flowcontrol to hardware and test.

Moreover, are you using a Cisco console cable and if it's not then make sure you are using a working rollover cable. If you are still having problem try connecting to the auxillary port.

I just noticed Rick responded to your post as well. Anyway, here's a link that may be of help.

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1720/hardware/installation/guide/install.html#wp3671

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tyler

There are several things that might explain your symptoms. There might be a problem with the console cable or with the serial connection, or incorrect settings of Hyperterm. One way to check that is to connect the PC to the router with the console cable and power cycle the router. If you see the console messages when the router boots then you know that you have a good cable and good connection.

Have you used this console cable and PC to connect to other routers or switches? If so that would provide assurance that the cable and the PC are not the problem.

One of the most common things that causes the symptoms of just a blank screen is that the speed of the console may have been changed. You can set Hyperterm to various speeds (try 1200, then 2400, then 4800, and depending on the router model it can go up to 115000). With Hyperterm you should stop and restart the connection every time that you change the speed setting.

I would also suggest that you verify that the cable is plugged into the right connector on the 1720.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Tyler,

With the default hyperterminal settings of 9600+8+None+1 and flowcontrol of hardware your console access should work. Try changing the flowcontrol to hardware and test.

Moreover, are you using a Cisco console cable and if it's not then make sure you are using a working rollover cable. If you are still having problem try connecting to the auxillary port.

I just noticed Rick responded to your post as well. Anyway, here's a link that may be of help.

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1720/hardware/installation/guide/install.html#wp3671

HTH

Sundar

Thank you both, Setting the Flow to Hardware and Power Cycling the router seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again

Tyler

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card