Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 1721 router problem

upendra07
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

Yesterday, i faced problem in router. I saw on router only pwr led blink I ping router ip giving request timed out Then i reboot my router & tired to ping it's working fine but what was the problem in router. How can i check. pl.give me sollution.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Upendra,

Did you check the logs before rebooting the router. Do you have the logs with you. As per the explanation that you gave, it could be that router's interface hanged or the IOS got hanged and when you rebooted the router, they both reinitialized and the things started working. Without checking the logs its very hard to tell you the exact reason.

-amit singh

Dear

can you tell me how can i check log.which command useful for this. i think show log

i tried but there is no log related to ios & other interface.

Dear

I want to know. what was the reason for the same. pl. give me sollution

Hi Upendra,

you find any logs when you restarted the router, b4 restarting the router, if you face such of problem, you should always check the logs "show logging", that will help you to troubleshoot in most of the time. so next time when you face such kind of probz, juz see the log, because once you restart the router, all the logs getz cleared, as it is not stored on the router permanently.

Dear

as per your suggestion there is no way to check what was the problem in router.

YES, you can't come to know unless you check the log b4 rebooting the router.

When cisco router get hang, even we can not enter into the router. it wont allow Console also. So how come we can check Log

Hi Suresh,

upendra has never mentioned that the router got hang, he has just mentioned that ping came with an reply "Request timed out", that doesn't mean that router got hang. so it always a best practice that you see the log b4 rebooting the router or a switch. that will certainly help you to identify the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco