Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1801 v2 integrated services router

acuevas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

Can above mentioned router be used with cable services or just DSL? Can I run it off of a cable modem? Thanks.

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can above mentioned router be used with cable services or just DSL?

You need a HWIC-1ADSL.

Can I run it off of a cable modem?   

Or you can hook the FastEthernet port to the cable modem.

thanks for your reply. I realize though that I was not clear as to what I was asking.

I have internet access thru a cable provider and I use a cable modem supplied by the i-net provider. My basic question is can I use this router for my needs or do I need a dsl line? Thanks.

There is no Cable Modem module for your router.  You can, however, plug the Cable Modem into your router and run ZBFW and ACL on it.

If you want to get rid of your Cable Modem then you can get a xDSL line and use your router.

thank you, I guess if I decide to switch to a DSL i-net connection I cold use since router has a built in DSL modem.

since router has a built in DSL modem.

I didn't say the router has a built-in xDSL modem.

If you want to use xDSL then you need to purchase HWIC-1ADSL module for the router.

Sorry leolaohoo, don't mean to put words in you mouth. However, I don't see where the router could accomodate any module. Does not have any slots. But if I did get a DSL line you are saying I could use it with a DSL modem, correct?

Sorry leolaohoo, don't mean to put words in you mouth.

Maybe I was misunderstood.  

However, I don't see where the router could accomodate any module. Does not have any slots.

Can I ask if you take a photo of the back and post it?

Here you go:

Thanks for this.  If you look at the back, on the lower left-hand corner is an ADSL +/2+ (Annex A & Annex M).  So if you have a DSL line, you can connect this directly to this port and configure it.

Thanks leolaohoo,

So what you are saying is that if I get a DSL line, at home, I can use the router's 'ADSLoPOTS' phone line port for my home routing needs, with our any other special equipment? ( If I can I am really interested in its SSL VPN capabilities, but is this router overkill for my needs. I don't even know if I have to purchase a vpn client license. )

Yes.  You get a DSL line installed and the cable plugs directly to your router using the ADSLoPoTS port.

leolaohoo, thanks for all your help and patience.

leolaohoo,

I had a nother question for you - if you don't mind. Can I connect the Cisco 1801 router to my existing router without getting a dsl line and take adavantage of the ssl vpn capabilities of this unit? This is really all I want from this device. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card