cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 + HWIC-4ESW 1 WAN + 5 LAN port config.

exoshop89
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my Cisco 1841 to have 1 WAN port and 5 LAN port on the same VLAN (to have the same gateway IP). The 1841 comes with 2 ports, so I added the HWIC-4ESW to have 4 additionnal ports. In Cisco SDM, I have no problem setting 1 WAN port (FE0/1) and 1 LAN port (FE0/0) but I cannot find a way to have FE0/0/0, FE0/0/1, FE0/0/2 and FE0/0/3 be on the same VLAN that FE0/0.

Is it possible?

Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't think you can add the built in F0/0 port to a vlan that was created on the hwic switch. The hwic is really like a standalone switch in its functionality . You can check the installation and config notes for the 4 port hwic to verify.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can't add switch ports to the routed port. But you can create a VLAN and assign all 4 switch ports to it. Use the VLAN interface instead of the FE0/0 interface.

Hope that helps.

So I should choose 802.1Q trunking on the routed port to create a VLAN on that one, then assign the 4 switch port to that new VLAN?

Where is actually that VLAN interface? Can't find it in SDM.

Thanks

You will need to create the VLAN- I don't use SDM, but here it is in CLI.

rtr# config t

rtr(config)# interface vlan 1

rtr(config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

rtr(config-if)# no shut

rtr(config-if)# end

Hmmm k! Kindda lost, never used cl interface... But I manage to create 1 VLAN and add my 4 switch port to it. I just can't figure out how to add the FE0/0 to that particular VLAN...

I don't think you can add the built in F0/0 port to a vlan that was created on the hwic switch. The hwic is really like a standalone switch in its functionality . You can check the installation and config notes for the 4 port hwic to verify.

Glen is correct. You can not add the router port (FE0/0) to the VLAN. You will have to use one of the ports on the 4 port switch as an uplink to the rest of your switches.

Thanks guys. This router (for its price) is a huge deception... And its buggy software too...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card