Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 router FastEthernet interfaces

coschilperoord
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have noticed that I can either use a straight or a cross-over cable to connect a PC or a router to a FastEthernet interface on a Cisco 1841 router. Can someone confirm these LAN interfaces do support auto-sense MDI/MDX since I am not able to find anything in the data sheets.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080458a31.html

covers the 1800 (fixed) built-in ports, but the equivalent doc for 1800 (modular) doesn't mention mdix, although as you've seen, it's obviously supported.

HTH

Andrew.

View solution in original post

Hi just checked having two 1841 routers connected together on fa 0/0 via a straight cable, speed auto, duplex auto but the ports never came up.

I suspect its the PC/laptop you are using that supports auto mdix.

Regards

Jay

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

FastEthernet interfaces in Cisco 1841 do support Auto-MDIX feature.

check this URL which have this information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

hope it helps ... rate if it does ...

Thanks for your reply.

I found this doc as well but I think it's only about these HWICs, correct me if I am wrong. However, I was referring to the fixed, built-in, LAN interfaces (FastEthernet's).

I have tested both a Cisco 1801 (FastEthernet0) and a Cisco 1841 (FastEthernet0/0 and 0/1) connected with a single UTP cable to an old Cisco 2501 and it looks like it doesn't matter what type of cable you use ... the cross-cable works as we all would expect, but the straight one works as well. I was just wondering whether this functionality can be found in any Cisco documentation; so far I was only able to find auto-MDIX info on HWICs and switch-ports.

Thanks.

Hi,

This doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080458a31.html

covers the 1800 (fixed) built-in ports, but the equivalent doc for 1800 (modular) doesn't mention mdix, although as you've seen, it's obviously supported.

HTH

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

Table 1-1 Summary of Cisco 1800 Series Fixed-Configuration Built-In Interfaces

Autosensing function:

Eliminates the need for a crossover cable and allows the router to detect medium-dependent interface in normal mode (MDI) or medium-dependent interface in crossover mode (MDIX) in any other PC or hub with a straight-through cable or a crossover cable.

Hi just checked having two 1841 routers connected together on fa 0/0 via a straight cable, speed auto, duplex auto but the ports never came up.

I suspect its the PC/laptop you are using that supports auto mdix.

Regards

Jay

Hi,

You are right. It was the engineers Laptop NIC that appears to be supporting auto-MDIX.

Looks like when there is a built-in switch (all 1800 fixed models have) the built-in LAN interface also supports auto MDIX.

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card