cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1900 series basic commands - user guide

shead1111
Level 1
Level 1

I am confused about where to find any useful documentation on the Cisco site. I am caught in a loop when trying to find any command reference - pointing meto "IOS software" - is this what they mean ?

Networking Software (IOS & NX-OS) - don't know what to pick here

Can you point me to a good basic tutorial [here or elsewhere] for a 1941-k9? Capabilities and basic tasks.

My immediate task is a little housekeeping - removing defunct usernames and resetting passwords for our VPN users. I'd only been shown to add a user/pass, I don't even know how to list out the existing usernames

10 Replies 10

joroeder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi shead1111,

I think I have found the link you are looking for:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/access/1900/hardware/installation/guide/19pwrup.html

That should bring you to the Configuring the Router section of the guide (if not, you should be able to click it on the left side of the screen). There is also other sections involving the 1900 series, like Overview and such.

From what I have seen in there, it shows how to do some of the basic CLI commands, configurations and then some.

I hope this helps with your issue.

Thanks you Joshua, unfortunately I get "Forbidden file"

Profile permission issues - let's not go there today, k? Enuff run around/time wasted trying to fix that lately.

Anyone got another suggestion ?

When you go to Support->Networking Software (IOS & NX-OS),

what's the diff between 15.2S, 15.2M&T, 15.2 special and early ?

In show I see c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M1.bin

Hi,

get rid of the partner string in the given url and you will be able to see it.

to see users configured: sh run | s user

to delete one just copy/paste then append a no in front and hit enter

You've got a M IOS so choose 15.2M&T

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

So that guide seems to be initial config. I didn't find what I am looking for in it.

sh run | s user gave me "invalid input..."

If it helps, the VPN's been set up for IPSec and the command we'd been given to add a user (which does work) is

username %%USER%% privilege 0 password %%PLAINTEXTPASS%%

Argggh!

If show config and show running-config is supposed to have all of the users there, seems someone neglected to pass on the info to me about how to save to permanent memory. None of my recently added users are there?

... really need some beginner guide...

I found there is some CP Express software on the flash. Will that allow me to add and manage my VPN users? I'd assume like most of the GUIs, it will have an obvious "save to make permanent" prompt too?

Hi,

to save the running-config to NVRAM: copy run startup command

what about sh run | s username in enabled mode ?

Regards

Alain

Thank you.

sh run | s user

gave me "invalid input..." at the pipe

Hi,

I'm so used with the section filter that I forgot to mention the other command  which is sh run | i user.

if you do this in config mode don't forget to prefix with the do keyword.

Regards

Alain

I can do sh run, but I get "invalid input..." at the pipe if I try adding | s user ior | i user to it

I found what I needed in the short term... desperation ... too many hours searching online!!!

In enable mode:

View the list of users in show running-config (same as sh run) or more accurately in show config since that is what is saved to permanent.

In confg terminal:

Change a user password by reissuing the same command as for adding a user; no need to delete first

no username %%USER%% to delete a user

After making changes, do exit to get out of the config terminal

then write memory to save my changes to permanent

I found a tutorial here that I learned a few things from:

http://etutorials.org/Networking/Router+firewall+security/

Also, I found a preview at SafariBooks online for O'Reilly book "Hardening Cisco Routers" - a few chapters are available there for viewing; learned a few more useful tidbits/commands. This book is from 2002, would appreciate some of your seasoned opinions as to whether it is still relevant/accurate enough today to be worth purchasing?

Hi,

The pipe must be preceded and followed by a space and same thing for i(include) or s(section).

Anyway glad you found out what you needed.

Here's a doc by Cisco for hardening:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080120f48.shtml

Regards

Alain

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card