Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941 upgrade with 4 port POE switch requirements

charlesjudd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 1941 router.  Stock standard vanilla hardware, no extras.  Standard universal image.  Data and Security not enabled.

I would like to add a 4 gigabit port POE switch (EHWIC) module to the router..

The 4 port POE switch module will be used to power and connect 2 x Areonet AP's for my home.  I'm replacing a Apple Airport Extreeme and Express setup.  I'll possibly later use the two remaining POE ports for security cameras.

My question is, what extra hardware and or IOS version do I need for the POE swtich module to function on the 1941? 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-612808.html

I think this is the model I want

EHWIC-4ESG-P

4 port 10/100/1000 Enhanced High-Speed WAN Interface Gigabit Ethernet switch with Power over Ethernet

what I'm not clear on is if an additional POE power supply or power board is required to be installed into the router to support the POE switch?

any one know?

PS: the reason I'm looking at a EHWIC solution is $$$.  They are roughly half the price of a 8 port stand alone Cisco POE gigabit switch.  So the EHWIC seems cost effective.

cheers,

Charles

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have already the router, then all you need to order is the external PoE power supply.

1.3 Ordering the Cisco 1900 Series Integrated Services Routers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card