cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 2509 Access Server Issue

Fredy Mrema
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a few equipment for my CCNA /CCNP lab. I also purchased Cisco 2509 Access Server to connect  all other cisco devices. I have followed the procedure to set up my access server and all can connect  apart from two of my newest routers (2610xm, 2620xm) and one switch ( ws-c2924m). Below is the running config of my access server. R0 corresponds to 2620xm, R1 corresponds to 2610xm, R2 and R3 corresponds to cisco 1760,  SW4 corresponds to  WS-C2950T and finally SW5 corresponds to WS-C2924M. Please can anyone help me to solve this problem. Thanks.

Current configuration:

!

version 11.0

service udp-small-servers

service tcp-small-servers

!

hostname ACCESS-SERVER

!

!

!

interface Loopback1

ip address 10.10.10.10 255.0.0.0

no ip directed-broadcast

!

interface Ethernet0

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Serial0

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Serial1

no ip address

shutdown

!

ip host R1 2002 10.10.10.10

ip host R2 2003 10.10.10.10

ip host R3 2004 10.10.10.10

ip host SW4 2005 10.10.10.10

ip host SW5 2006 10.10.10.10

ip host R0 2007 10.10.10.10

!

line con 0

line 1 8

session-timeout 20

no exec

exec-timeout 0 0

transport input all

line aux 0

transport preferred telnet

transport input all

rxspeed 38400

txspeed 38400

flowcontrol hardware

line vty 0 4

exec-timeout 60 0

login

!

end

4 Replies 4

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Does a port that will work with one type of device (e.g. 1760) fail with another (e.g. 2610xm) ?

If yes then you can narrow the problem to the configuration on the lines - I would change the rx and tx speeds to 9600

Hello there! Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to connect the the 2610xm to another port that works but still didn't work. I changed the rx and tx speed as suggested but that still didn't work. Please help.

At this point there is some possibility that the problem may be on the 2509 terminal server and some possibility that the problem may be on the individual routers. I would suggest to test directly from your PC to the router (temporarily taking the terminal server out of the mix). If a connection directly from your PC to the console of the router does work then the problem is on the terminal server. If the connection directly from your PC to the router also fails then the problem is on the individual router.

If the problem turns out to be on the individual router then troubleshoot it with the connection directly from your PC to the console of the router. The first thing I would suspect is that the console of the router may have been set to a different speed. I would configure the terminal emulator to the various speeds that are supported (1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, etc) and see if one of them works. Bear in mind when testing various speeds that some terminal emulators (such as Hyperterm) require that the connection be stopped and started again to recognize the change in speed. If the problem is not the speed setting then there are some other troubleshooting steps that we can try, if you report that the problem is on the individual router and is not speed.

If the problem is on the terminal server then I might start by swapping cables and see if there is possibly faulty cables on the terminal server or possibly bent pins in the cable connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The console ports on those models are no different .  If you can't connect then try to get into them without the terminal server .  Its possible that someone messed around  the config register if this is 2nd hand equipment and you have to figure that out .  The settings on the TS should be the same for those models. Config register in most cases should be 0x2102  or 0x2101 .  2102 requires a boot statement pointing to your image.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card