cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2511 Terminal Server - graceful disconnect on exit

wbullock
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a Cisco 2511 as a terminal server. I connect the octopus cable to serveral Cisco router consoles.

Connections work fine. When I disconnect the session on the router with the "exit" command, it should pop me back to the Cisco 2511 command prompt, right?

As it is, I have to hit control Shift 6 x and disconnect the session. Otherwise when I hit return and I'm back in the router I just disconnected from through the serial port. I think I should be back the the console on the Cisco 2511 terminal server.

Ironically, if I let the target router timeout, it works exactly as I think it should on disconnect. I get the message: Connection to Router1 closed by foreign host. So, it seems like what I want to do should be possible.

I have experimented with modem DTR-active, autohangup but I have not found a combination that disconnects cleanly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You have to control-shift-6 then x to exit from your current telnet session.  After that you do a "sh sess" and just type the line/connection number to get back into the box again

Here is a link explaning it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

HTH

Reza

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am using a Cisco 2511 as a terminal server. I connect the octopus cable to serveral Cisco router consoles.

Connections work fine. When I disconnect the session on the router with the "exit" command, it should pop me back to the Cisco 2511 command prompt, right?

As it is, I have to hit control Shift 6 x and disconnect the session. Otherwise when I hit return and I'm back in the router I just disconnected from through the serial port. I think I should be back the the console on the Cisco 2511 terminal server.

Ironically, if I let the target router timeout, it works exactly as I think it should on disconnect. I get the message: Connection to Router1 closed by foreign host. So, it seems like what I want to do should be possible.

I have experimented with modem DTR-active, autohangup but I have not found a combination that disconnects cleanly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hi,

Have you tried a command disconnect when you have connected to some router session via terminal server.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card