Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2650:all theory and no practice means unrecognized commands

pheidius12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I  thought I uderstood this, but I think I went backwards a little today.

I have a Cisco 2650 router with no add in modules.

I have it connected from its console port through the OEM rolled cable to the DB9 com 1 on a PC running Windows XP pro x86.

I have Solar Winds free TFTP server installed and running on port 69 UDP with no firewall running. I have a straight RJ-45 cable ready to run to the router's one and only 10/100 ethernet port to an auto sensing switch.

The TFTP server dress 1s 102.168.0.115

The lan's subnet is 255.255.255.0

The TFTp server's nic also connects to the switch which is hard wired to my consumer household router with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

I need to configure it on the Lan to properly run/address certain TFTP commands I wish to run.

I think the proper router settings would be something like:

ip address 192.168.0.38

sub net mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway 192.168.0.115

I can open a telnet virtual console and watch the router boot or interrupt it with ctrl+break and boot it into rommon. I can gain privileged mode with the enable command.

I have been able to get to Router (config)# prompt.

I can't seem to make any headway from that point on though.

None of the commands seem to work from there on out. I get syntax error messages.

I admit I foolishly hit ctrl+Z at one point thinking that would allow me on to the next line but I seem to have truncated the config file. I will post my logs and hope someone can get me back to ground zero then on to configure the router’s lan address.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kevin

From the enable prompt -

router# sh ip int brief

you have a fast ethernet interface so i suspect you need to do -

router(config)# int fa0

basically the output from the "sh ip int brief" should show you what the router is calling the ethernet interface. Use that when you go to configure the interface.

Jon

View solution in original post

nyihlakyaw27
Level 1
Level 1

hello. i fortunately find you here.. i am in trouble.. i lost 2650 router IOS image. if you still have it, i would like to get a copy. please reply.. . thank you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kevin,

Can you post the output of "show version"?

Reza

Hi,

You bet.

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IX-M), Version 12.3(22), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed  24-Jan-07 16:48 by ccai

Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x80EE0DB4

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: C2600 Software (C2600-IX-M), Version 12.3(22), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Router uptime is 27 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2600-ix-mz.123-22.bin"

cisco 2650 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memo

ry.

Processor board ID JAB05080D0A (1693012601)

M860 processor: part number 5, mask 1

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

then it goes into these time out errors if you don’t send it additional commands

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/router-confg (Timed out)

*Mar  1 00:28:09.657: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (t

ftp://255.255.255.255/router-confg) failed

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/ciscortr.cfg (Timed out)

*Mar  1 00:28:30.667: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (t

ftp://255.255.255.255/ciscortr.cfg) failed

It wasn't doing this unti my abortive commands but at least I can still talk to the router.

Kevin

From the enable prompt -

router# sh ip int brief

you have a fast ethernet interface so i suspect you need to do -

router(config)# int fa0

basically the output from the "sh ip int brief" should show you what the router is calling the ethernet interface. Use that when you go to configure the interface.

Jon

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It looks as the box is trying to load the config file from the tftp server.

In config mode, can you issue command "no service config"?

You may have to reboot the box.

HTH

Reza

hi,

Thanks guys. I fixed this this morning by figuring out the interface name was fa0/0 not fa0.

I was able to configure the interface,,, end,,, write... reload.

Ultimately, this was a hicup in my attempt to change the rommon setings to boot to my TFTP server.I have never posted to this forum before. What is the etitquite when you solve your own problem? Should I close it or leave it open in case I have trouble with changing the router's boot sequence?

O I just noticed that one poster's advice was almost my exact solution. I could mark that as the solved answer

nyihlakyaw27
Level 1
Level 1

hello. i fortunately find you here.. i am in trouble.. i lost 2650 router IOS image. if you still have it, i would like to get a copy. please reply.. . thank you.

Hi,

I have it but i don't know if it is ok to pass it to you in this forum. Cisco restricts IOS downloads so why don'y you flag down a moderater and ask them if it within forum guideleines. If it is i have no problems with it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card