cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800 Series router

djelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple questions about this router. The one currently in my possesion is assumed to have bad memory. I need a way to test and prove that the memory is not bad. What would be the best way to do this?

Is the memory propriatary to Cisco systems? or can I use any ECC DDR memory to replace it if it is a bad module?

3rd but probably should have been first, I am connecting through HyperTerminal and am being asked for a username and password. What would be the best way to get past this? I will google factory resets but maybe one of you can come up with a better or clearer answer faster in this post.

Thanks for all the help!!

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the router boots and works normally, the memory is OK.

The password recovery method are published on cisco.com, just use the search function. That is the best and faster way to find answers.

Paolo,

I believe the memory may be ok but how can I prove that? thats what I need to do and thats what im asking. Can I run a test locally on the router? is there a logfile somewhere? Can I take the memory out put it in a PC and run memtest? The systems memory has failed in the past so I need to do a more streanous test on it then just booting it.

Ive followed directions before on password recovery for a Cisco router and ended up not being able to access the system at all. I would like to avoid that by getting a better detailed explanation or confirmation from a human being. This is what I got so far on that though. Let me know if everyone agrees?

boot

CTRL + Break

at rommon type confreg 0x2142

type reset

This is the part where I am getting slightly confused. I want to delete the old system settings so it no longer asks you for a password so it can be setup easier later.

after reset

enable

config t

confreg 0x2102

cntrl z

copy-running config-startup config

Does this method work with any router?

The only way to test memory, is to use the router with traffic.

The password recovery method that you summarized, it's the same for all routers.

I was having issues entering the confreg 0x2102 command. it appears the correct command is "config-register 0x2102"

and now I am having trouble copying the running config to startup config. This is what I get.

Router#copy running-config startup-config

Destination filename [startup-config]? YES

%Error copying nvram:YES (Invalid argument)

Destination filename [startup-config]? Y

%Error copying nvram:Y (Invalid argument)

Destination filename [startup-config]? yes

%Error copying nvram:yes (Invalid argument)

Destination filename [startup-config]? y

%Error copying nvram:y (Invalid argument)

Router#

Whats the solution?

Ahhh I see just press enter. I thought it was asking yes or no to overwrite.

I still need a better way to test the memory now.

Just hit enter to confirm defaults in square brackets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card