cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Cisco 2811 packet loss 40%

hello every body

I have Cisco 2811 connected on SW and I have some users conected on this SW go to internet throw the router. the issue that i have now is the packet loss in router is very hight about 40%, please can you help me to fixe the problem of this loss.

thank you.

12 REPLIES

Start at Layer 1, have to checked or replaced the cable between the switch and the router?

Has anything changed in terms of configuration or topology with the switch or the router recently?

Is there anything in the switch/router logs?

How is the router connected to the switch? Single cable?

If you traceroute or ping from the clients subnet to the inside subnet of the router, do you still get packet loss?

Thanks devils,

there is no recently change.

in the log of router I have this alert :

2/4/2014 11:10 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Warning.
2/4/2014 11:08 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Up.
2/4/2014 11:08 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Warning.
2/4/2014 11:08 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Up.
2/4/2014 11:08 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Warning.
2/4/2014 11:07 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Up.
2/4/2014 11:06 AMAlert: Tast-Router is Warning.

the Router connect to the sw directly, single cable

if trace route from the client to the router subnet we stile have loss.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

What is the WAN bandwidth?

about 1 STM-1

Super Bronze

Re: Cisco 2811 packet loss 40%

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A 2811 doesn't have the performance to effectively forward STM-1 bandwidth.

hello,

the Cisco router 2811 is directly connected to an other SW wich is directly connected to Cisco 7204 VXR so the STM-1 is connected on this router.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If the volume of transit traffic is for a STM-1, it doesn't matter that the 2811 doesn't host the physical connection, it still doesn't have the performance capacity to support it.  Actually, the 2811 doesn't really have the performance capacity to support it's FE interfaces, at continuous full rate, either.

PS:

If the STM-1 is 155 Mbps, and if the 2811 only has FE interfaces, what's the expectations about the "extra" 55 Mbps?

But the taraffic received from internet router on FE of 2811 is only 20 Mbps.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Okay, and how much traffic does the 2811 receive from its other side, i.e. toward the Internet router?

If my experience, a 2811 will max out at about 20 Mbps, duplex.  However, actual performance will vary based on router's configuration, packet sizes and "nature" of the traffic.

What's the CPU history of the 2811 look like?

BTW, I never said the 2811 is the cause of your packet loss, just that it isn't a suitable router to support STM-1 bandwidth.

If you overload the 2811 with too much traffic, it will drop packets.

hello Joseph

thanks for your replay

the traffic coming frm the FE0/0 (from internent router) is same as the traffic FE0/1 (to SW users) and CPU utoizatios is 10 %, I have configure access list and traffic-shap on 2811 to limte traffic for evrey subnet, does this effect the performence of 2811?

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Anything you do on a 2811, that does "something" with traffic, will place load on the router.  I.e. ACLs, shaping, etc. will add some CPU load.

If your CPU history doesn't spike above 10%, that's fine.  (I will confess, if your average transit traffic is 20 Mbps, I would expect a higher CPU loading.)

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Get some SNMP traffic analyzer to be able to determine the limit your router is doing.  I'll agree with Joseph that your router is no match for 20 Mbps.  You need something bigger.  Alternatively you may need to downgrade the WAN bandwidth.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content