Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2821 Config-Register Issues

JakeMIGSMN
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

So I just fired up a used 2821 for the first time and broke into it and by accident, instead of typing in "confreg 0x2142", I fat fingered it and typed in "confreg 0x21421" and reset the router. Now I fire it up and it's just all garbled with random texts and symbols. This has happened to me before and I've been able to set Hyper Terminal to a different baud rate and it has worked but this time I've tried all the different baud rates and no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacob,

Don't worry, this cannot be as bad as it looks. I do not believe you could damage anything.

Make sure you are connected to the CON port and not the AUX. Try to power-cycle the router and send the Break sequence multiple times to force the router to jump to ROMMON (ideally, have the COM port set to a low speed like 1200 or 2400 bps). Then try modifying the port speeds again, starting from 1200 bps and ending on 115200 bps. 8 databits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Everytime you change the speed, hit Enter numerous times to see whether the normal ROMMON prompt appears.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacob,

Don't worry, this cannot be as bad as it looks. I do not believe you could damage anything.

Make sure you are connected to the CON port and not the AUX. Try to power-cycle the router and send the Break sequence multiple times to force the router to jump to ROMMON (ideally, have the COM port set to a low speed like 1200 or 2400 bps). Then try modifying the port speeds again, starting from 1200 bps and ending on 115200 bps. 8 databits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Everytime you change the speed, hit Enter numerous times to see whether the normal ROMMON prompt appears.

Best regards,

Peter

i have already tried that but ill give it another shot, thank you for the reply.

Hi Jacob,

Yes, I know you've tried it but I would really like you to give it yet another shot.

Best regards,

Peter

i wont be in the office until tomorrow but i will keep you posted, thanks for the help

Jacob,

Okay. I may try to reproduce your problem on one of our 2811 routers in the lab on Tuesday - but I shall keep the router configured with an IP address so that I have some way of accessing the router after all.

Best regards,

Peter

thanks a lot, I appreciate it

JakeMIGSMN
Level 1
Level 1

I got it fixed. You were right Peter, just go back and mess around with the different baud rates. It ended up being baud rate 57600, 8 data bits, parity set to none, stop bits set to 1 and flow control set to none. Thanks again for the tip, I guess going back and double checking your work really does help!

Hello Jacob,

I am really glad you got it working. Being a NetAcad instructor, I see lots of configuration register values messed

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card