cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2912XL Switch Configuration

indsys
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have cisco 2912xl L3 switch but unable to configure ip routing.

Please help to solve the issue.

5 Replies 5

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

I assume you mean you have tried to enable the same by issuing the command 'ip routing' in global configuration mode?

What image are you running?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for Relpy.

Image : c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin

I have configured vlan 100 with ip 192.168.1.1 .that also not pinging.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am sorry to let you know that 2912XL switch is contrary to your belief L2 only and therefore in my view it is extremely unlikely you can succeed to configure ip routing there.

You can certainly configure more than one vlan interface with this box and assign ip addresses to them but only one of these can be up/up at the time (the others shut down).

Can you please check the status of your interface vlan 100. If the status is up/up and you still cannot ping it will you please provide more information as for the configuration and setup.

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

It depends on what you are trying to achieve?

You should be able to do basic routing (support for up to 16 static routes) with the right software, as you can do this with the 2960.

Martin

Hi,

There is no similarity between 2900XL and 2960 families. Cat 2912XL is two generations older compared to Cat 2960. I have spent quite some time with 2900XL boxes, mainly in the past millennium. I still keep one in my lab. In my view the only ip "routing" configuration you can achieve with this box is "ip default-gateway". I am referring to Desktop Enterprise Edition software which was most advanced with these switches.

I may be wrong though.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card