Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 2950 - EtherChannel as fail-over

Hi everyone.

We currently have one 2950 bridged to a stack of 2950's through EtherChannel (dual 54mbit OFDM). The EtherChannel carries vlan1 and vlan2 traffic. We want to move everything to a fiber link recently installed between these locations (use MC's) and use EtherChannel as fail-over link. Is this something that is possible on 2950. How should I go about setting it up?

Thanks for your input.

(attached is switch config)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco 2950 - EtherChannel as fail-over

Yes this ia an appropriate fix, you can tune the STP manually to get the desired results. I am happy that we have finally got it working.

-amit singh

5 REPLIES

Hi Pavel,

Is fiber link already connected and working?I dont see any fiber port configured on the attached config.

Your ether-channel should go in a blocking mode as fiber link will have the default cost of 4 and it will be the favoured link for STP to pass the traffic on. Just configure the trunk between the 2 2950's and it should work automatically.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your reply. Fiber link is not connected yet since I want to make sure there will not be any STP-related problems if I connect it - this network is live and carriers important data.

Will EtherChannel go into blocking mode automatically as I configure trunking port and hook up MC to it ?

I did the configuration changes and hooked up the MCs on both ends today. For some reason STP was still favouring EtherChannel dual 54mbit OFDM connection over 100mbit media converter. Cost for portchannel 1 was at 12 and for fiber link at 19.

Since we wanted all of the traffic on fiber, I manually bumped up etherchannel cost and reduced fiberlink switchport cost. All seemed to work fine, I tested fail over (disconnected media converter) and the wireless link picked the traffic up. When I connected MC back in - all traffic was routed back to fiber as expected.

Is this an appropriate fix - to manually modify costs in STP ?

Yes,

You may have to tune the spanning tree somtimes according to your needs.

Since evrything is working as expected along with the failover, you have the right configuration

HTH

Narayan

Yes this ia an appropriate fix, you can tune the STP manually to get the desired results. I am happy that we have finally got it working.

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content