Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Cisco 2955S questions

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to connect two 2955S switches using SM fiber, I'm able get the connection up for a couple of hours and then it goes down. Sometimes goes up and down several times during the day; however I'm not able to get a stable connection. The switches are located in buildings that are located less than a mile apart.

Is there a minimal distance for connecting those devices using single mode fiber? If that is the case, what is that distance?

Should I use attenuators? If that is the case how do I calculate the required attenuation?

Thank you for your help

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco 2955S questions

Hello Armando,

the distance is not a problem and you shouldn't need to use an attenuator.

Are there any log messages that could be related to to the troubled link ?

try to disable the interface keepalive some IOS versions have issues with them that lead to errdisable.

Do you see incrementing errors in the interfaces during the day ?

use

show interface gi0/x

If available have someone test attenuation with an optical TDR when a loop is made on the other side.

Verify also to use GBICs/SFPs that are of the same vendor because using different can sometimes lead to problems.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content