Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960-X stacking question

Wilson Kwok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We're planning buy 6 set of Cisco 2960-X with stacking with existing two firewall with HA function (please see attached diagram), if firewall 01 down will auto failover to firewall 02, is this network design good ?

Please some expert give us suggestion.

Thanks 

19 Replies 19

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are these Cisco firewalls?

You need a connection between the firewalls and configure them as HA so when the link to fw-1 fails fw-2 will take over.  You don't need multiple links between each fw and each switch, one connection from each switch to each firewall should be enough since the switches are stacked.

HTH

Hi Reza Sharifi,

Thanks for your helping.

Those firewall not Cisco, is ZyWALL USG-310, the HA concept is each interface has VIP, all client  gateway use VIP within same interface subnet, so needed multiple links for each VLAN for different subnets (We have four subnets).

Thanks

Hello moongoolioo,

ZyWALL USG-310 not support ether channels, I think my setup is good enough, right ?

Thanks

Good day.

If your firewalls support ether channels (with lacp) and subinterfaces, i will recoomend to unite FW ports into etherchannel trunk and spread other side over access switches for e.g. FW1 connect to first and last switch, FW2 to second and forth switch. All vlans are passed over those portchannel trunks and terminated on FW subinterfaces with configured HA.

But if you want to build scalable, predictable and HA block you should consider introducing some type of aggregation layer between FW and access layer.

Hello,

1. Do 2960-X support 6 member stacking ?

2. Do 2960-X support Bladeswitch stack cable ?

3. I think need buy stack module, right ?

Thanks

1. Do 2960-X support 6 member stacking ?

2960X support a stack size of 8, however, you need to be careful.  The stacking speed of the 2960X is 20 Gbps.  So you need to know if stacking up 8 is beneficial or not. 

2. Do 2960-X support Bladeswitch stack cable ?

No.  The stacking cable for the 2960S/X/XR are specific only for this models.  

3. I think need buy stack module, right ?

Stacking modules and stacking cables.

Hi Leo, thanks for your helping,

1. I just checked here , 2960-X stack member up to 8.

2. You said Bladeswitch stack cable for the 2960S/X/XR, the range included 2960-X, is it support ? or I need buy Flexstack cable ?

3. I forgot request modules on the quotation .... 

Thanks

I need buy Flexstack cable

You need FlexStack cable for 2960S/X/XR.  You need to specify the length too.  Default length is 0.5 metres in length.  If you want to have a stack of 6 then one of the cables will have to be a long one.

Thanks, I will request stack modules and Flexstack cable.

Hello

Here is away of doing it with short cabling 

1-2  

1-3 

2-1 

2-4

3-1

3-5

4-2

4-6

5-4

5-6

6-5

6-4

Res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't understand what is your stack method.

Thanks

Hello

it basically cuts out having one long flexstack cable

Draw it out and it will give you full resiliency for a 6 switch stack

res

Paul 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I saw switch 5 connecting switch 3,4,6 ?

3-5

5-4

5-6

Thanks

Hello

apologies that's a typo - let me make it clearer:

1-2

2-4

3--1

3-5

4-6

5-6

Res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card