Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960S multicast routing

egiovannetti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Having 2 cat 2960S in stack, do they support vlan routing and multicast routing?

Thank you very much.

Emanuele

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Emanuele,

2960 is a pure layer 2 switch. It doesnot support layer-3 capabiltities like basic routing and IVR. Its not supported in standard and even in enhanced IOS.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

Naidu,

I respectfully disagree. Since IOS version 12.2(55)SE, the support for static unicast IPv4 routing was added to 2960 and 2960-S Catalysts. Hence, 2960 and 2960-S can provide basic inter-VLAN routing services. They do not support routing protocols, though, and also they do not support multicast routing.

Please consult the following documentation for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Emanuele,

2960 is a pure layer 2 switch. It doesnot support layer-3 capabiltities like basic routing and IVR. Its not supported in standard and even in enhanced IOS.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Naidu,

I respectfully disagree. Since IOS version 12.2(55)SE, the support for static unicast IPv4 routing was added to 2960 and 2960-S Catalysts. Hence, 2960 and 2960-S can provide basic inter-VLAN routing services. They do not support routing protocols, though, and also they do not support multicast routing.

Please consult the following documentation for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

Best regards,

Peter

egiovannetti
Level 1
Level 1

Ok

Thank you so

much

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

egiovannetti
Level 1
Level 1