cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2970- switch with 2 vlan interfaces Up/Up.

weerapatr
Level 1
Level 1

I have the cisco 2970 switch with IOS(C2970-LANBASE-M), Version 12.2(25)SEB4.

1.I created vlan 5 and assigned port g0/1(connected pc) into it.

2.I assigned an ip address a.b.c.d into interface vlan1.

3.I created an interface vlan 5 and assigned ip address e.f.g.h then no shut.

I saw both interfaces vlan Up/Up.

What is matter of switch layer2 with only one ip management active all the time like cisco 2950 swith?

Or except cisco 2970 switch?

Or except new IOS ( Lan Base) ?

Please clear to me.

TIA

14 Replies 14

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Can you post the output of sh vlan and sh ip int brief

Narayan

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi TIA,

2970 is a pure layer 2 switch so 2 logical interface cannot be up and up at a same time.

Can you paste the output of "sh interfaces" and "sh vlan" and also "sh version"

Ankur

weerapatr
Level 1
Level 1

Thank for help.

I attached this file for information.

Hi Friend,

Please paste 2 more outputs

"sh interface vlan 1" and "h interafce vlan 5"

Also can you ping both the interfaces from clients in their vlan.

Regards,

Ankur

weerapatr
Level 1
Level 1

Thank for help.

Additional information for investigation.

Seriously. Please read commend in file which I found something strange when I test with ping command.

Thank in advance

are you able to ping the interface VLAN ip from any machine in VLAN 5 with the subnet 192.168.1.X

Narayan

Certainly doesn't look right . It may be a cisco bug , it wouldn't be the first time they kind of mixed code , there is small differences between the code on the 2960 and the 3750 and they may have accidently merged some of the code if it is indeed routing like a 3750 . They basically use the same images and trains as the 3750 . I would be interested to hear if you do a show ip route is it a valid command ???? If you create another vlan and put a active evice in the vlan does that one stay up also ???

Hi Friend

1. I can be created another vlan , assigned port into it , create interface vlan and assigned ip address then that the interface vlan also up. :)

2. I found can't route between hosts of each subnet/vlan.

3. But it can be done about this

Ping : HostNetA<-->GWnetA<--->GWBetB

But between hosts don't work.

Bug???

Thank for help again

Hi,

Yes, it seems like a bug to all of us. If you are not able to ping betwenn the Vlans that should be the exact behaviour as this box doesnot support routing. Having to interface vlan's as up/up is a software bug.

Open a TAC case and report it to the TAC. They will have a look at it and can file a bug.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi,

It is not a bug , but it is layer2 switch so it requires Layer3 Device to route multiple vlan Network.

Dear Jignesh,

Please read the whole post carefully and try to understand what we are talking about here. We are talking about having to SVI's up/up status on a layer2 switch. Its is only the layer 2 switch that we are talking about.

regards,

Out of curiousity when you did your test did you make sure the pc nic card had a default gateway set of the SVI for that particular vlan ? Try putting a couple of pcs on with the default gateways set to the SVI for the vlan they are attached to , can you ping between them then ? Definetly a strange problem . Kind of like the Cat 4500 with a supII+ card cisco would say it wasn't supported but all the routing protocol commands were in the IOS and things like OSPF ,EIGRP and yes even BGP would work at least in a lab environement even though it wasn't officially supported... the fact that you can ping the gatways on the switch sort of points to fact it either routing and or bridging something somehow .

Hi Glent thank for your comment.

I assigned default gateway into every pcs/subnet and test.

No ip routing , router , show ip route commands etc. on box.

Thank you

It seems to be a bug to me. As posted earlier from amit, raise a TAC case

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card