Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3550 can't enter user mode

Alexey Kutyrev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.
I strongly need your assistance of this: The cisco 3550-emi switch that i have in my lab just stopped entering USER MODE (router>). The router boots quite alright but the moment it ask me to "press the return key to get started" and when i pressed any key on my keyboard, the cisco switch cant enter the USER MODE after pressing "any key". i installed another IOS of the switch using Xmodem transfer and the problem is still the same.
I did a major lab configs using the real live devices and in the process of the lab the layer 3 devices all stopped responding to keyboard. I powered them off , on and all of a sudden the layer3 switches can't go into the user mode or router mode. I thought the problem had to do with the ios.
Any idea(s) on how i can rectify this problem?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

CCNA, CCNA Security certified
22 Replies 22

hello Alexey,

you need to capture this file, the easiest way to do this is to enable logging on your terminal server (ie putty or SecureCRT) and save the output to a text file. Please remember to save the file name as something intelligible such as: slavesup-bootdisk-crashinfo_01102013-103000-UTC.txt

by then If you have a TFTP server you can also TFTP the files off the device, or use any of the other available means of file transfer. you need to apply: copy slavesup-bootdisk-crashinfo_01102013-103000-UTC.txt tftp:  and then follow the prompt.

there is one more thing to tell you; all information in the crash file information in ecreypted and to get the real data you need to decode all information in the crash file, this only can be done by Cisco, I think in this point you need to open a TAC with Cisco.

regards,

Hardi

Thank you foryour assistance.
If i find out the solution i will reply in this topic.

Everybody thank you for your assistance! We just solve the problem. Perhapse the ios file was corrupted. We install new ios and all switches come back.

I am glad that you have resolved the problem. Thank you for posting back to the forum and informing us of your solution. It is interesting that a new IOS turned out to be the solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It's realy interesting for us too, because we tried several times another IOSes as one of the fisrt memeasures.

hello Alexey,

sounds good, congrats.

you installed the new IOS on all of the crashed switches?

best regards,

Yes, it all operate now!

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chec/replace USB adapter and cable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: