cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560 Layer 3 switch CPU

juan-ruiz
Level 1
Level 1

I know that when using PBR the deny entries in an ACL are processed by the CPU and it can affect the performance of the switch.

Does anyone have a good document that pertains to what can affect CPU utilization?

I’m in the process of designing a complex access control list with many permits and deny entries and if this platform can’t handle such tasks without overloading the CPU I can use another solution as an alternative.

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Juan

2 Replies 2

Hi

Any process that run in router use its CPU. If you are facing High CPU issue you need to check the process that run in CPU  & need to Diagnose them

For Example :

• ARP Input—ARP Input section of the document Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization Due to Processes

• BGP Router—High CPU due to BGP Router Process section of the document Troubleshooting High CPU Caused by the BGP Scanner or BGP Router Process

• BGP Scanner—High CPU due to BGP Scanner section of the document Troubleshooting High CPU Caused by the BGP Scanner or BGP Router Process

• EXEC—High CPU Utilization in the EXEC and Virtual EXEC Processes

• HyBridge Input—Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization Caused by the HyBridge Input Process on Routers With ATM Interfaces

• IP Input—Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization Due to the IP Input Process

• IP Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)—IP Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Causes High CPU Utilization

• LC ADJ Updater—What Causes High CPU Utilization in the LC Adjacency Updater Process on a Cisco 12000 Series Internet Router?

• TCP Timer—TCP Timer section of the document Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization due to Processes

• TTY Background—TTY Background section of the document Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization due to Processes

• Virtual EXEC—High CPU Utilization in Exec and Virtual Exec Processes

• Vtemplate Backgr—Virtual Template Background section of the document Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization due to Processes

• Other processes—Other Processes

• Please refer the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a00800a70f2.shtml

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Ganesh Hariharan
    VIP Alumni
    VIP Alumni

I know that when using PBR the deny entries in an ACL are processed by the CPU and it can affect the performance of the switch.

Does anyone have a good document that pertains to what can affect CPU utilization?

I’m in the process of designing a complex access control list with many permits and deny entries and if this platform can’t handle such tasks without overloading the CPU I can use another solution as an alternative.

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Juan

Hi Juan,

Check out the below link on troubleshooting on high CPU on 2900 and 3500 series switches which can help you to find the process which can affect the cpu of the switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094e78.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card