cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560 Switch in stuck mode

km
Level 1
Level 1

There is power on the switch but none of the port lights are lighting up. Tried to check using the console but was stuck on booting, also tried loading the default image but same results. Anyone have suggestions to try?

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you access ROMMOM by following this procedure?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Step 1 - 6.

Regards,

jerry

Tried to Access to Rommom per the procedure and can't, always stuck on booting but never comes out with usual prompt. See attached, any other suggestions?

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Next suggestion is really contact TAC.

Regards,

jerry

klambert1218
Level 1
Level 1

kevin,

If you unplug the power cable and hold down the Mode button and plug it in, keep holding the Mode button down for about 15 seconds. It should skip the normal boot procedures and present you with a switch: prompt. Then you can either erase the IOS and re-install it, or upgrade your IOS (looks like you have an old one). To do that, you will have to download your IOS from Cisco's website, and store it on a TFTP server, or locally. Perform the procedure I first mentioned in this post. At the switch: prompt you then do an init_flash and then you can do a dir flash: to see the name of the IOS .bin file you have. If you are going to copy the IOS from your local directory, you will want to issue the set baud 115200 command so that your transfer rate while be significantly faster. You will have to restart HyperTerminal and change your bits/sec to 115200. Now issue the copy xmodem: flash:filename of new IOS. command. Choose Transfer > Send File. Choose xmodem1K for your protocol and then navigate to the location where you stored your IOS. Click send. When finished, issue set baud 9600 command to return to standard baud rate. Restart HyperTerminal again to change your bits/sec back to 9600. Issue dir flash: to verify the file was copied over and to see what the name of the file is, then do a boot flash: filename of new IOS. This should reload the switch. Log back in to the switch, conf t, boot system flash:filename of new IOS, end, sh boot to verify the statement is there and correct. You can either reboot again or leave it like it is, but now you should have a working IOS.

Hi,

Did all of the above but the IOS fails because there is not enouph memory space on the 3560. I am stuck in switch mode...  I tried to delete the old IOS (corrupted) but ...RMDIR or DEL comes back saying that the target is not a directory or file. I went deeper...to deleted within the dir but still will not let me delete.   What's the trick to free up space in "switch" mode.    mike

Mike,

I have had a similar situation, and rather than describe all the steps I took, let me refer you to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

This should help you with your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card