Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 3650 PoE+ and Power Supplies

I'm looking at deploying a few 3650 switches at some regional sites, where there is a requirement for PoE+ to power access points, but only on a small number of ports.

Table 7 at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/qa_c67-729531.html

states that I need 2x 640W power supplies in order to provide PoE+, but it appears that this is based on PoE+ being required for all ports all of the time (which isn't the case for me).  Nearly all the data sheets and documents I've come across assume the maximum PoE+ load also.

Is there any restriction on these switches which may stop me supplying 30W PoE+ to only a small number of ports (staying withing power budget) when running a single 640W power supply?

Or does the switch fall back to 15.4W PoE if only a single PSU is installed regardless of power budget?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Depends on your model and

Depends on your model and your PS.

All 3650/3850 can support 30.0w PoE.  So if you have, say a 48-port switch and you have a PS of 720w then you get, at most, 24 ports (720 / 30 = 24) that can support 30.0w on a first-come-first-serve-basis-until-full. 

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Depends on your model and

Depends on your model and your PS.

All 3650/3850 can support 30.0w PoE.  So if you have, say a 48-port switch and you have a PS of 720w then you get, at most, 24 ports (720 / 30 = 24) that can support 30.0w on a first-come-first-serve-basis-until-full. 

Thanks - for the response and

Thanks - for the response and also for taking the time to reply Leo.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thanks for the time to rate

Thanks for the time to rate our posts, Reuben.  laugh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content