cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3725 router

Sean McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 3725 router as our internet gateway. Verizon is our ISP. We were supposed to have our bandwidth increased from 6 to 15MB. Is there a way to confirm the actual bandwidth on the outside interface (ATM1/0.132)? The statement says 6MB.

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can change the bandwidth statement, but that doesn't affect the speed. It's used for calculations of other things.

You could go to www.internetfrog.com to test your bandwidth. Keep in mind that there will be a slight discrepancy between your given speed and what you will measure out at based off of how far you are from the testing server and how many hops it takes to get there.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As John notes, the 6 Mbps "statement" you're seeing might just be the bandwidth statement, which may or may not reflect actual interface bandwidth. If it's incorrect, it wouldn't normally adversely impact your obtainable bandwidth. However, if it's an ATM interface, you might have a ATM "statement" that can control how fast the interface will transmit. If it is this type of statement, you might need to adjust it to obtain your maximum bandwidth.

As John also suggests, there are locations on the internet that will "clock" your maximum bandwidth. Another one is http://www.speedtest.net

It might help if you would post the portion of the config you're looking at.

What is the command to view the ATM statement and how would I go about changing it if needed?

I have in mind something like "vbr-nt #### ####" under the interface's PVC section, but there are variations, which is why I wrote it would help to see the whole interface config section.

Is there a show command specific to the interface? I can post the output.

You could do a "show config" or "show run" and cut out the interface portions. Or, "show run interface ATM1/0.132" (and "show run interface ATM1/0").

If there's anything you consider sensitive in what you're about to post, perhaps a desciption remark containing link's vendor circuit ID, or even IP address, just XXX out that portion. e.g. instead of ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0, ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

You can do a:

sh ip int brie

and it will give you the interface and IP address, then do a:

sh run int

That will give you the complete running config section.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card