cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3750 high cpu

Bedevere Curry
Level 1
Level 1

We have a cisco WS-C3750X-24 that sometimes shows high cpu.

Please see details below. When cpu was running high, we noticed

2 process that seems to be the culprit. One is VMATM Callback and one is IP Input.

What is VMATM? Can't seem to find much documentation with it.

Also, IP Input seems to be well documented but I'm wondering how it ties into VMATM if it does?

Thanks

CPU utilization for five seconds: 99%/29%; one minute: 99%; five minutes: 90%

CPU utilization for five seconds: 73%/28%; one minute: 76%; five minutes: 77%

PID Runtime(ms)   Invoked      uSecs   5Sec   1Min   5Min TTY Process

237          49        53        924  0.00%  0.00%  0.00%   0 VMATM Callback<----------normal usage

237      119304      3710      32157 31.74% 27.42% 17.27%   0 VMATM Callback

198      541972   1524333        355  1.11%  0.55%  0.41%   0 IP Input <------------------normal usage

198    21565303  54238166        397 25.30% 25.51% 25.52%   0 IP Input

Version:

c3750e-universalk9npe-mz.122-55.SE3.bin

CSCtj95182 - High CPU on 3750 when network scanner is run

CSCtf23298 - tacacs-server host ' ' single-connection causes high CPU utilization

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
-          This 'VMATM' process mainly takes care of the removing the
addresses learnt on an interface when the interface goes down. 

There are couple of things to be check on this kindly open a TAC case with cisco so that we provide you in depth analysis on the same

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Besides or in addition to opening a TAC case, you might consider upgrading your IOS to 55SE7 or 55SE8.  You might also double check none of your TCAM resources are being exceeding (i.e. not using the optimal SDM template).

I guess you recommend c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin and why?

Because 12.2(55)SE7 or SE8 are, by far, THE MOST STABLE IOS I've used.   A lot of people also has seem to observe a significant improvement when they've upgraded or downgraded to this version.

8 Replies 8

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
-          This 'VMATM' process mainly takes care of the removing the
addresses learnt on an interface when the interface goes down. 

There are couple of things to be check on this kindly open a TAC case with cisco so that we provide you in depth analysis on the same

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Besides or in addition to opening a TAC case, you might consider upgrading your IOS to 55SE7 or 55SE8.  You might also double check none of your TCAM resources are being exceeding (i.e. not using the optimal SDM template).

What would be the latest IOS for c3750e-universalk9npe-mz.122-55.SE3.bin?

I found this (c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin) but it doesn't have the npe designation.

Thanks

I think I found it. I'm downloading

c3750e-universalk9npe-mz.122-58.SE2.bin now.

I think I found it. I'm downloading

c3750e-universalk9npe-mz.122-58.SE2.bin now.

Don't.  Just please DO NOT use this version.

For a 3750, use 12.2(55)SE8. 

Do you know it shouldn't be used? We are already running the

c3750e-universalk9npe-mz.122-55.SE3.bin version so shouldn't

c3750e-universalk9npe-mz.122-58.SE2.bin be o.k?

I guess you recommend

c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin and why?

Thanks

I guess you recommend c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin and why?

Because 12.2(55)SE7 or SE8 are, by far, THE MOST STABLE IOS I've used.   A lot of people also has seem to observe a significant improvement when they've upgraded or downgraded to this version.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card