Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 3750G error during POST

I am trying to configure a 3750G that has been sitting on the shelf for several months and am getting the following error -

% Error: Unable to create flash:/microcode_update
% Error: It must not already exist

Normally, getting an error during POST isnt a good thing.  My first thought was that flash was corrupted or flagged RO somehow. I did fsck flash: with no change.  I next tried fsck /test flash:.   It tested 77 blocks and performed 0 erasures.  It had been running for about 15 minutes with no problems reported so far.  Multiple reboots of the switch still report the same error.

I have reviewed the history of what I have done on this switch and finally think I found the problem.  I noticed a microcode_update directory that I am not used to see on a 3750.  Deleted the directory using the rmdir command and rebooted the switch.  On reboot, I noticed that a front_end/ directory was listed as being created as well as fe_type_1 and fe_type_2 were created.  The switch now boots up without any errors.

Hope this helps some others who encounter this error.

Ron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Ron,

probably during one of the last power ups before you put this switch on the shelf a power outage occurred or the master switch (if in stack) was reloaded.

Therefore the temporary microcode_update folder, which is created while the microcode is extraxted from the tar bundle, could not be deleted.

You just need to manually delete it from the flash and boot again.

regards,

Riccardo

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Ron,

probably during one of the last power ups before you put this switch on the shelf a power outage occurred or the master switch (if in stack) was reloaded.

Therefore the temporary microcode_update folder, which is created while the microcode is extraxted from the tar bundle, could not be deleted.

You just need to manually delete it from the flash and boot again.

regards,

Riccardo

Riccardo:

Just edited my initial post about the same time as I found the problem and fix.  Thanks for the confirmation.

What started all this was  I was trying to do a password recovery because none of the passwords we have used in the past would get me into the switch.  What I found after I got in was that this switch was part of a stack at some point because I see references to a second switch in the stack but only config details for the ports for the switch I have.  Cleaning that up now.

Ron

Cisco Employee

glad you recovered it

Riccardo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content